Friday, March 1, 2019

Bronchiolitis

Early this morning at 5 am, I decided to take Peter to the ER. The cold that has been making its rounds in our house with the kids finally got to him. He woke up at 4 sounding really bad - coughing and stuff, plus he felt like he had a fever. Usually it gets better if he nurses, but he was having such a hard time breathing that he couldn't do that. So I patted his back and tried to help him burp or cough up the flem so he could eat, as I paced the floor and tried to think if I should take him to the hospital. Around 5:00 he seemed to really be laboring to breathe and I was getting concerned, so I got ready and got him ready to go to the ER. Then, in his difficulty to breathe, he was coughing to clear his throat and gagged and threw up all over me.
So I got ready again, luckily none of it got on him, I told Corey I was leaving, and then off we went. We hadn't even gotten out of the neighborhood when I heard him throw up again.  I didn't bring a change of clothes for him, but since I was in the car and on my way it did not go back home to get him an extra pair of clothes. I wanted to get to the hospital as soon as possible. I decided to go straight up to Primary Children's Hospital, cause I figured if we went to a closer hospital/ER they'd tell me to take him up there anyway cause he's so little. I didn't listen to the radio or anything, I was just praying and listening for how Peter was breathing. He stayed awake the whole 30 minute drive - spit up all over his shirt.
They took a look at him and said he has bronchiolitis. I started googling that. So two new medical terms - Retracting and Head Bobbing. Peter was doing both, he is so sweet but so sad - poor baby!
Head bobbing and lungs retracting are both things that show a kid is having a hard time breathing. They cleaned out his nose and throat with a suction thingy - they stuck a tube up his nose and down his throat to get things all the way back there. He did not like that. They swabbed his nose to go test at the lab, results would be back in a few hours.

So we waited. They came in and put a HiFlow thing on him to help him breath and he did better with it on. I was also called the kids several times to make sure they had all gotten out the door, but no one was answering. I eventually sent these messages to Mel.
She texted me later and said that my messages had given her a real scare, cause when she opened her phone and saw them, in her quick glance she only saw these words:
So we kinda thought that was funny - sorry to scare you Mel!

Around 10 am, the results from the lab were back - he did have the respiratory syncytial virus, aka RSV, and so they would be admitting him. They asked me what I knew about RSV or bronchiolitis? "Just what I've been googling as we wait here..."
words I'm learning and googling - bronchitis and bronchiolitis

Bronchiolitis is a lung infection that's usually caused by the respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), which produces swelling and mucus production in the small breathing tubes of your child's lungs. Infections are most common during the winter and typically affect children under the age of 2 years.

I thought this article was the most helpful in explaining the difference between Bronchitis and bronchiolitis - https://www.healthline.com/health/bronchiolitis-vs-bronchitis

Human orthopneumovirus, formerly Human respiratory syncytial virus, is a syncytial virus that causes respiratory tract infections. It is a major cause of lower respiratory tract infections and hospital visits during infancy and childhood.

So, in order to be admitted, the first step was putting in an IV, which was sad.
I didn't watch them put it in for Daniel's bilirubin stay two years ago and I didn't watch it this time, other than taking a quick pic of the little guy hating it. He screamed, but it was a quick process and then we were ready to go up to the Pediatric Intensive Care unit. He was wheeled up there on hit little bed. A lot of work goes into taking care of such a little person! So tiny on the bed -
Up in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit - you'll get through this, little prince!
I left and went home to get my toothbrush and a book or two and my computer and a breast pump - just a few things to help me during our stay. I need a pump cause they aren't allowing me to feed him at the moment. The plan is for him to get a feeding tube later tonight after they monitor him to make sure he's stable. He can't have food/I can't nurse him cause if he has a problem taking it he could aspirate some of it into his lungs. So that part sucks right now. I pumped a little at home and did more when I got back here. At home the kids were a little weepy that Peter wasn't at home. Corey seemed a bit frazzled. He was once again in circumstances that he would not have chosen for himself. He was on our bed with his laptop trying to work.
Owen was snuggled up next to him, linking his little arm in Corey's.
He's a single father again like he was after Peter was born. But that was just 24 hours, this one is for a few days (they said probably 4-5) I headed back to the hospital. When I got back, Peter was all bundled with lots of wires and tubes coming out from the blanket.
I thought his little toes looked cute with the wires going in between them
So I've been doing a little computer work and just sitting here. I was able to go have a nice and free dinner at the Ronald McDonald house, which was a really great facility! I was super impressed and very grateful for the service they provide, and having been on the receiving end, it will be something I'd like to give back to.
I was checking in with Corey and extended family throughout the day. Around 3 Corey let me know that his "therapist" told him it was not healthy for him to stay home with so many sick and moaning and clingy children, and thus they were leaving into the mountains. Ok. He didn't tell me where, just that he had to leave. So after talking to him I messaged Mel to ask her. "Dad says they're going to the back of Timpanogous for a few days where they can find the magic holy water and recover". Is it weird that whenever I am at the hospital for a day or two, usually my greatest concern is Corey's sanity? Poor guy. He's hanging in there the best he can, I know our large family stretches him in ways he'd rather not be stretched, with all the self imposed stretching he already has with work. Anyway, he texted me later about Peter receiving a blessing - saying he didn't know how he'd be able to come do it, as his hands were already full. So I texted my mom and she said my dad could probably come later. And then he just showed up - he was at a physical therapy appointment down here close to the U, so he just came straight over. He was able to give Peter a priesthood blessing with the assistance of a member of the surgical staff. Right after the blessing Peter was doing so good, like he was alert and happy like he is at home - for about 20 minutes he acted like he didn't even care that he hadn't eaten since 8 am.
That was the hardest part for me - seeing him cry and not being able to feed him was a cruel form of motherly torture. Thankfully his numbers were great all day - heart beat and respiratory number and some other number, so the nurse came in at 9 pm and told me I could nurse him! Hallelujah, I am very happy I was able to feed him. Even though he hadn't eaten all day, they assured me he was fine - the IV let them keep him hydrated and kept his blood sugar stable. The only thing that would be hard for him is the feeling of an empty tummy. So I was so so happy to feed him - how cruel is that to make a 6 week old infant fast for over 12 hours?!?!. So three little miracles - that he is doing so great and that he didn't need a feeding tube, that I got to nurse him. Now it's 10:30 and I think I'm going to try to get some rest. Keep up the good work, little Peter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...