Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Some Salads

I'm supposed to talk about Vegan stuff today, cause it's Vegan Vednesday! Ok. Food wise, I feel like my tastebuds have turned a corner. My weekly personal grocery list now mostly consists of making sure I've got enough goods to have GBOMBS everyday, per Dr. Joel Fuhrman's recommendation. GBOMBS are the cancer fighting foods that Fuhrman says you should eat everyday. Those are: Greens, Beans, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries, and Seeds. So I've been making all sorts of weird GBOMB salads, and just as weirdly, they all taste really good to me. Like - I bought swiss chard for the first time ever! I was slicing up a leaf to add to a salad and I chewed on a leaf of it raw just to see what happened. Last time I tried swiss chard was over the summer when I cut some from my parent's garden. Totally made me gag. But not this time! I chewed on quite a bit of it and it was ok! Plus I got the Red Chard, so it's really pretty with that bright red stem and veins, would be beautiful in a Christmas salad. I just mixed it with beans and avocado and mushrooms for a salad.
My second go at a red chard salad - Beans, mushrooms, yellow pepper, mustard, avocado
I'm not craving junk or sweets at all, just really looking forward to my breakfast bowls and my salads. Breakfast most days looks like this - a 1/2 cup of oatmeal or brown rice with blueberries (the second B in GBOMBS), flax (the S), freeze dried strawberries and a splash of almond milk. If I'm lucky enough that the kids haven't eaten all the bananas, I'll slice up some of those too.
And here are a few more of my salads:  
That one above - Greens, northern Beans, red Onion, Mushrooms, cucumber, tomato, flax Seed and some avocado and salsa. Another day's BOM salad below, got my Beans, Onions and Mushrooms in a salad with some radishes and drizzled with a little bit of teriyaki sauce.
This one is a burger salad - Green spinach,, northern Beans again, Mushrooms, Onions, and also yellow peppers, pickles, and I used yellow mustard as my dressing.
Another Teriyaki bowl - Butter beans, bell peppers, cucumbers, onions, radishes, mushrooms. Also really good with Alfalfa sprouts! This is one of mine and Hyurm's favorites.
So, if you're wondering what in the world we poor humans can eat if we don't eat mean, milks, eggs, and cheese, those are just a few examples. Eat whole foods to improve your health, spare animals, and maybe save the planet, all at the same time!
I saw this video yesterday on facebook of Neal Barnard, M.D. discussing his book “The Cheese Trap: How Breaking a Surprising Addiction Will Help You Lose Weight, Gain Energy, and Get Healthy." Very very good basic stuff. You should watch it! Other vegan things from my inbox:
  • Breaking Medical News: New American Heart Association data found that a vegan diet reduces inflammation linked to heart disease better than the AHA's recommended diet.
  • Have you been told that healthy, delicious plant-based meals are expensive? Think again! The Physicians Committee's Lee Crosby, R.D., took the SNAP challenge to eat on a budget of $4.15 a day and described some inexpensive meals on Good Morning Washington.
I'll get off of my soapbox now. I'll end this now by encouraging you to go enjoy some GBOMBS today and everyday. Until next Wednesday, this is Tiff the aspiring vegan signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...