Friday, November 13, 2020

First Day In Oahu

I have good news! We made it! 

We survived the 6+ hour plane ride. I don't know what was happening with 7 of the kids, Corey got them. I was in charge of Peter (Wes helped me) and Peter was stir crazy for the first 3 hours, then crashed for the last 3. 

I watched the new Little Women movie and the documentary/movie about Bethany Hamilton called Unstoppable. That got me excited about surfing and amazing ocean waves. The footage they got at the end when she finally rode the big wave surfing break called "Jaws" was pretty amazing. She really is inspirational. So movies helped me survive the plane ride. We landed safely and then waited in a long line with every body else that wound around departure gates and through the terminal. 

 20 minutes... almost to the Hawaii Safe Travels check in table...

This was the final test, and thankfully we had all the stuff we needed, and in fact we were overprepared, which is better than being unprepared. They didn't even ask for or look at our printed covid lab results. SO, if anyone needs tips on how to get to Hawaii from Utah during covid, message me, cause we did it! Walking to baggage claim.

Corey went to go get the rental car with NOD, and I was supposed to get the baggage with HWALSP. 

Corey also told me to stay here, but the baggage was as far away as it could have possibly been. Abi looked for it without success, so then I went looking, found it, phoned H and A to come help me with our 9 suitcases. Loaded up and we were at the hotel around 5:30, the sun was starting to set. 6:00 we got into our rooms, which is 9pm in Utah, which was a good time to retire after such a long day of travelling. Corey ran to Costco to get food and I put everyone to bed. 

We all woke up early today at 7 which was great! To bed at 7, and awake at 7 in Hawaii = Bed at 11 and awake at 11 in Utah. That sounds like a poor sleep schedule for Utah, but here in Hawaii this is perfect! We ate breakfast and then left for the pool. All the pools have open swim from 7-9 and then the rest of the day you need a reservation. I didn't know if they were going to be booked, since you can reserve 24 hours before, so maybe all the reservations were taken. I felt like we had to go now while we had the chance, and might as well since we're all up and awake. It was perfect.

At the towel hut giving our names and getting towels. I forgot to bring a stroller for Peter. We're one day into the trip and I'm already exhausted from holding him. 
Everyone say cheese - a picture for posterity.
The kids loved the pool, just like we knew they would when we came years ago. Natalie on the waterfall that they have signs to let us know we should not climb on them. 
Peter in the kiddie area. He was impressed with himself that he can touch the ground. 
A big leaf in the water.

Around 9:00 they let us know that time was almost up. Getting our towels on. Peter you are such a cutie.

We came back to the room for 2 hours of homework and music practice. Corey was trying to get work done, which didn't work with all of us in the room, so he left for a walk with ODP. I went and found them at the manmade lagoon. Their clothes were soaked and they wanted to have their swimsuits on and floaties, so I walked them back to the room, changed them all, then we went back out. I sat down with Peter on my lap and he fell asleep. 

I was able to transition him onto the towel.
I put my bags around him to block the wind from disturbing him.
Hyrum and Wesley had been working on homework all day and came out for a break. They threw the kids in the water and eventually worked their way over to where I was in the shade. Owen ventured up the rocks...
then Hyrum came and sat by Pete while I took Natalie up the rocks. 
They were very sharp on our bare feet. We had to walk very slowly and carefully. 
Also so we didn't step on the tiny crabs.
We came back and Peter was awake. I gave him a shovel and he was very happy.
Dig dig dig
So sweet.
Wes dug a big hole and Natalie volunteered to be buried. Hyrum and Wes covered her in the sand. 
Hyrum and Lily came to play with Peter.

They showed him how to dig a good hole. We Put Owen in it. Peter kept putting little shovelfuls of dirt on Owen's head.
And he couldn't do a darn thing about it.
It wasn't the best sand for sculpting, but Lily did her best to create a tribute to when Mel buried Ethan at Laguna beach last year
Peter was the little shoulder angel helping her. 
She wanted to do a really strong guy with short legs. She opted for a towel covering over a speedo for her finished work.
And then tonight we went swimming at the Lagoon Pool. Peter did NOT like the little bubbly water fountains for some reason, it was kinda funny. He could NOT relax.
I loved taking photos of the native island flowers, I'll be posting those on my pretty plant blog
It was a lovely night and a lovely first day here in Hawaii! We are so lucky that we get to be here for eleven days!! This is going to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...