Wednesday, September 29, 2021

The Mountainside's All Watermelon Red

Daniel was sick today - he threw up twice, both times in a bowl, so yay! Not bad for a 5 year old. I was proud of him, and grateful I didn't have to clean up the couch or scrub any carpets. Natalie went to school today but then came home feeling ill. She was crying this morning because she didn't want to go to ballet today, and it was a battle of wills, but since she played the sick card at school, I guess she wins this one. So they've been resting and playing Starfall on the computer. I texted Corey to let him know that "I might go biking... there is limited time left". He was working over at his parent's house and waiting for Lily to be done at her clarinet lesson. He said he could come too, but with Lily not being done with her lesson until 5, then the drive back home from downtown, they wouldn't be able to join me until 6... But then we'd only have like an hour. Wes stayed after school for orchestra, and after I picked him up, I let Corey know I was going to sneak away for a bit, they were welcome to come out and join me if they were able. 

I've put together a new "bike ride" playlist for myself, and one that I've been loving is Sleepwalker on the Killers new Pressure Machine album, cause he's singing about the Utah mountains in fall!!  "...the first autumn whisper mid-September brings And the glowy excitement that it builds?" and "Come out and see the leaves The mountainside's all watermelon red Soon enough, they're gonna rust and fall Leave the mountainside cold and bare But when the longer days of sun appear They'll be rising like an answered prayer" I was surrounded by watermelon red leaves today - 

These beauties were on my way up Canyon Hollow right after the Silica Pit and before taking one last loop down the Rush trail - I love these fall leaves! The camera doesn't capture both together, but the leaves all around me looked like that - 
and as the sun began to set, the sky turned orange and pink - So it was lovely.
Corey had gone to the gym in the morning, and I hadn't done anything all day, so I can live with myself for being selfish and leaving. If they were able to come out, I said we could explore Little Valley. But Corey replied that he was glad that I like to go biking and that he'd stay at home with the kids. My time stats for this are on my exercise log blog. When the sun was setting and the sky was lit up with pink and orange, it just filled my cup with joy.

Hey, sleepwalker, don't you miss the way
Wildflowers paint the western hills?
Or the first autumn whisper mid-September brings
And the glowy excitement that it builds?

Everyone is afraid of something
Even the strongest man alive
Hеy, sleepwalker, we went walking in thе western hills
And we picked you wildflowers
You gotta open your eyes

Hey, dreamcatcher, come out and see the leaves
The mountainside's all watermelon red
Soon enough, they're gonna rust and fall
Leave the mountainside cold and bare
But when the longer days of sun appear
They'll be rising like an answered prayer and I know that

Everyone is afraid of losing
Even the ones that always win
Hey sleepwalker, when the mountain comes back to life
It doesn't come from without
It comes from within

The hills are barren, but we look for what's to come
Sweeter skies and longer days of sun
When you wake up, I'll be standing in the line
To kiss your eyes and wipe the tears from mine

'Cause everyone is afraid of something
Even the strongest man alive
Hey, sleepwalker
Western bluebells and painted cups are getting ready to rise
It's time to begin
It doesn't come from without
It comes from within

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...