Thursday, July 1, 2021

Hurt Knees

Wesley finished his driver's ed class yesterday, yay! So that means that I have my morning back yay! I went on a long bike ride this morning to celebrate my new found summer freedom. So, a little bit of my biking history: The first time I went biking was May 6th. On that first ride, I wanted to see how long it might take me to bike to the Cottonwood Heights Rec Center. I remember that there were two parts that were uphill and I had to get off and walk my bike on those two parts. I was out of breath! I've been biking a bit more and two weeks ago I did those hills no problem without getting off my bike. Today I took it up another level, a pretty big level, by attempting to bike up the Draper Temple hill! And I biked up the Traverse Ridge to Potato Hill! Now that Wes is done with Driver's Ed, I have more time in my mornings, so I went on a ride in Corner Canyon by myself. I decided to park at the bottom and do the work to get up to the top, and then be able to enjoy my ride down. Well it went pretty according to plan. It was a lot of work, I was out of breath, and had to get off my bike, but that might be because there is something wrong with my 1st gear and I wasn't able to gear down. It was a good workout and took me about 40 minutes to get to Potato Hill. I was going to take the Red Potato trail down, but I missed the turn and had to turn around, and then decided to just follow another biker who was going on Ann's Trail East. I had no idea where I going and it seemed like I was going further into the canyon rather than down and back to the car, which was true, but eventually I found myself at what seemed like an official place - the Peak View Trailhead, and I was able to turn around and head back west from there. I decided to take the Rush trail. It had a sign saying it was Intermediate level, but I felt brave enough to try it and started to take it down, and it was fun! At 7:40 I was where I met up with Corey, Wes, and Joseph last weekend and I was glad that it was familiar and that I knew what to do now and when I'd be done. I headed down the Limelight Rush Trail and I fell on some gravel, and that's when I learned that the hard packed dirt paths are better than the gravel and sandy trails. My pants protected me from scratches, but I think I'm going to have a bruise on my left leg. I fell again at the gate on my way out, they are tight corners and I'm not good at corners. So it was almost 2 hours of biking and it was fun to get more familiar with Corner Canyon. I was in car and on my way back home at 8:05, Back home at 8:24. That was a good workout and it was fun!

Tonight when Corey got home, he wanted to go on a ride. Most of the kids didn't want to go, and I told Corey "Psst! Just bring Abi and I'll take you to a really fun trail!!" Owen and Natalie still came long with us and I told them that we'd go to a park while we waited for Corey and Abi to finish. I had looked up how to drive to Peak View Trailhead, so I dropped them off and told them to take the Intermediate Rush Trail, and they did. Natalie and Owen and I drove around a bit but never found a park. So we just parked at the Cycle Park and watched Odds1Out. Soon Corey and Abi showed up. "How was it!?!?!" I asked - and they both gave me affirmative nodding of their heads with wide eyes as they said "Yes!! That was A LOT of fun!" And then Corey pointed out Abi's knees to me. 

Oh my gosh! ABI! What did you do?!?

She let me know that he hands were scratched and bleeding too.

Well that's not good! I reminded her that before we left I told her she should probably wear pants. I bike in leggings, I don't want my knees torn up! Wes fell on a ride with Wes on a gravelly part and he got pretty scratched up his leg. I don't want to rip my pants, but I don't want to bleed even more. Abi's knees looked pretty bad, like mine would get back in my street hockey days, which would then crack and bleed and re-rip off of my legs during the soccer season. I'd rip them playing hockey in the summer, and they wouldn't heal until after the fall soccer season was over. Hopefully Abi will be able to keep these protected and they'll heal up quickly for her. 

Natalie was sad that she wasted her time and didn't get to go to a park, so I dropped her and Corey off by the Grit Mill Trailhead and they biked home. She had wanted to bike home since our last ride on June 7th, so I'm glad she was able to tonight. 

It is a little scary to think of such a little girl biking in the road, but she did great. It's fun being a biking family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...