Friday, October 13, 2017

Fall at the Temple Quarry

Here's a late weekend report from last Saturday: so a week ago (on Oct 7th), I went on a morning hike with aspirations of getting a good workout in the beautiful crisp fall mountain air. My vision was disappointed by reality when the kids who were accompanying me begged for mercy - we quit early cause they were freezing. So it didn't fill my cup like I had wanted. So I decided to try again that night. Saturday night finally rolls around - I knew it would be almost dark at 7 so I set an alarm on my phone for 4:30. I was hoping I could get out alone for a quick jog. But that doesn't work when Corey's around cause, per his instructions, he can't be left alone with children when he's got work to do. So I said I'd take some kids, first Daniel, then Owen, then everyone wanted to go (wait, I already did this with kids this morning!) ...soon I had the whole van full. Oh well, I'm not going to jog I guess. Then Corey decided to take a break and come too. So we all went out. It wouldn't be a jog in the canyon I was hoping for, but good quality family time should count for something? And maybe I'll even get in a good walk? There were lots of hiker, bikers, and joggers on the trail, as well as young couples and families getting photos taken. We paused to get a group picture. A nice passerby offered to take it for us:
"Wow, 8 kids!" Yeah, believe it or now we're missing a few. Yeah, we're crazy. We didn't plan on a family photo, and we're not wearing coordinating outfits. And I still haven't showered. But there you go, a memory captured. Let's see those beautiful mountains and trees behind us.
One more from a different angle...
Daniel asleep in the wrap. Ok, picture done... Let's hike!
They started up, then some of them turned around...
Then we had kids scattering in three directions - east and west on the trail, and Lily jumping into the bushes searching for adventure. Corey decide I'm officially crazy for thinking I was going to be able to do this without him...
Well, when you're not here the older kids rise up and are helpful. Right now they're just more kids to keep track of... Lily! Come back!
I try to enjoy the outdoors as we manage the kids... the mountains are beautiful.
Owen trips and thinks he got hurt and wails on the trail. Well, we didn't make it very far, like not even around the first bend. I guess we're just gonna be hanging out around here.
Another picture of the fall colors. I give up on hopes of getting a "workout hike" in this evening.
As the sun goes down the colors get richer. Gorgeous.
I guess I can take pictures of these cute kids.
And of the fall foliage.

We made our way over to the dry creek. Natalie poses on the rock.
Owen finally cheers up and lets Corey put him down, he's excited about the river!
Throwing rocks in the little pools of water! This is so fun!!
Life doesn't get much better than throwing rocks in a stream. I think we've just discovered Owen's happy place.
Oh you are cute! Especially when you're not freaking out.
So instead of an outdoor family hike, we had an outdoor family stand and sit as we spent the rest of the daylight throwing rocks in the water and making sure Daniel didn't put pebbles in his mouth.
Before we came, Lily and Sophi had been playing an elf game and Sophi is fire elf. Thus she totally lost it when she lost her footing and got her boots and the front of her fire red dress wet. She was inconsolable.
It was cute how seriously she had taken her imaginative role as the "fire" girl that a splash of real water on her "fire" dress really took her powers away. She was bawling. Ok, I think we're done. Let's call it good and head home.
That is enough family fun for today.
Did you have a good time, little Daniel? He's giving me his famous cheesy grin, I'll take that as a yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...