Sunday, September 27, 2026

Kyhv Peak

I took the kids on a fall drive this evening. I wanted to go all day, but didn't get the troops rallied in time to beat the sunset, so we cut it a little short and didn't do the Alpine loop and just went up Squaw Peak. 

I shared this pic with the college kids, and I got a few comments - Hyrum: "Why does it look like there's barely any kids home when there's 7?" Ethan: "Yea fr, that's it? And how is Sophi second in command??" Haha. Yeah, Sophi was the first baby born at this house, when this current chapter of our life started. Now it's 15 years later and she's not only second in command, but Lily is a senior and leaving next summer, so in less than a year, Sophi will be in charge of the kids! That's nuts. "Where'd all the time go?"  
I'm not sure we'll make it around the Alpine Loop or Guardsman this year, but we did something tonight so we'll call that a win. We left too late to do Alpine Loop. Maybe we could do it for FHE tomorrow? Hmm, but the kids prob don't want to go on another drive with me. Hmm, this was 9 Oct 2022 (THAT was a gorgeous year!) ... maybe there's still time? It was such a hot dry summer though, I think most of the colors are past their peak. But maybe we can try to drive around during General Conference this next weekend. So it was a nice drive. One more pic as the sun was setting over Timp. Can barely see Peter...
Not as brilliant as other years, but that's ok, we'll take whatever autumn we're able to get. We've been up here before, 12 Oct 2017 and 10 Oct 2019. Oh I need to correct myself - back then it was named Squaw Peak, but I learned tonight that it was renamed in September 2022 to Kyhv, the Ute word for "mountain". Ok I had to look this up too, cause it sounds like Kyiv Ukraine... Kyve the Ute word is pronounced as "kaiv" (rhyming with dive or hive), or phonetically as keye-v. Good to know. The drive was nice. Fall is slipping away too quickly though, sigh. When we got back, Corey had just cleaned the house the whole time. The Little People in the front room are all cleaned up now. I need to make a play room area for Katharine... I shall work on that this week. 

I do like that fall comes with a few fall roses, and check out these beauties!
These are huge roses like I usually have gotten over the years on this shrub, not like the beginner buds from this summer as the bush recovered from Wesley's pruning job. 
I'm very happy with these! I've been taking time to smell the roses every day. They are lovely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...