Today we went up into the Uintah mountains and to Wall Lake. This is my first time ever going up here, which is sad. Corey said this is his childhood up here. The kids have all been up here too - they came up in 2018 (I was pregnant and stayed home with 2 year old Daniel and 3 year old Owen) and again to Wall Lake in 2020 (I stayed home with baby Peter). So it is really beautiful up here, wow! We drove along the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway (also my first time ever) along State Route 150. It is a 42-mile mountain road in Utah starting in Kamas and climbing to 10,715 feet at Bald Mountain Pass. We didn't make it that far, we turned off and went to the Crystal Lake Trailhead.
I never knew these places existed. I mean I guess I did, cause I blogged about Corey and the kids all coming here, but I guess it was just words to me... but now I see and know that this is a real place, and again - wow. I want to come up here again. Who knew!?!? So everyone took off on the trail between Ponds Lake and Lily Lake, I went with Katharine. She and I caught up to Lily, then there was a lady who had tripped and sprained her ankle, Lily went back to try and find her husband, Kat and I stayed with her, her husband came, Lily didn't, then Kat and I kept walking. I had no idea if I was going the right way. The trial was well defined, but this was my first time, so I didn't really know. She and I walked for 40 minutes before we saw anyone we knew. Mel and Christian had been 25 min behind us at the hotel and they brought Sophi and Natalie. We saw Sophi and Natalie coming on the trail, then Corey and Lily, who stayed to wait for Mel and Christian. I felt great relief cause I was starting to feel a little anxiety that we weren't at the lake yet, but we got there soon after (Corey carried Kat on his shoulders). Ethan, Bella, Alvie, Hyrum, Wes, Seth, Owen and Daniel were all in the water and having fun. So that is the cliff! I saw Owen take his first jump in. I held Alvie for a while with Ethan and Bella jumped in.
When Bella got back to watch Alvie, I got in the water and swam over. I was wearing my leggings and a swimshirt over my clothes, so it was a little heavy I guess. I got out and attempted to get up high where everyone was jumping from, but I had to actually rock climb, and maybe it's cause I am short and couldn't reach, or cause I haven't been to Momentum for months, or maybe it was trying to climb it barefoot aka with my poor toes trying to hold me, made me chicken out - I didn't want to risk it, so I dove in from the really low spot and swam across the bottom width of the lake, W to E, then back E to W. Corey and I got swimming at the rec center every week, but swimming in a real mountain lake is different. The water isn't clear or still, I kinda felt sick. I was contemplating my decision as I tried to swim, then my foot hit a rock and I saw that I had made it across. I sat on a rock, caught my breath, then swam back. As I was getting close (I'm the head in the water in the pic below) Daniel took his first jump off the high cliff! See his little figure there with his arms out wide -
His take away after his jump was that it really hurts your arms! Yeah, you're supposed to keep those tucked in. He did great, I was way impressed. Bella took that pic as they headed out. E&B left with Alvie, Owen and Seth. CUTE ALVIE!
We had dinner again tonight, Mel and Christian have planned for pizza tonight, so it was time to head back and get that going (they had the dough ready, just need to roll them out). I can't remember who handed me this towel or who brought it, but thank you. You saved me.
Time to go back. Peter moped by a tree for a bit and cried "...but I didn't even get to do anything!" Well, you didn't want to get in the water, and that's all that we were doing here, but that's ok.
We picked up our stuff and counted heads.
Let's head back to the cars.
I was cold but figured I'd be dry and warm by the time we got back. Nope! I was dry-er but not dry yet. The warm car felt wonderful. Everyone else felt hot, so on the drive back to park City, I put the AC on for people in the back, and I put it on high heat for me the whole drive. I know know a good way to survive in Corey's hot car! Just go into a restroom and drench your shirt.
Back at the room, I took a warm shower, everyone else kicked into "get dinner ready" mode and did an amazing job getting dinner ready.
The older kids were all so great to be in charge of dinners for us this week!
People are out hot tubbing now, I'm done with water today but I'll prob go watch them. Last night/this morning, I stayed up too late, catching up on the blog. I finished July and documenting our trip to Newport, yay. I took a nap yesterday so even though I was up late, I've been ok today. Yesterday and this morning I played a lot of Flip 7 with the boys. Peter didn't like it the first two days but he likes it now and is handling it better when he loses a round. We've also done the Park City Summer puzzle over and over again. Last night Mark served up brownies and ice cream. Kids were happy with that.
Corey and I took a morning ride yesterday but didn't ride today. We'll go again tomorrow. Yesterday we went up Mother Urban and Tommy's Two Step, then down Silver Queen. From Mother Urban, we were able to see the Judge Mine! (Hi Grandpa!)
As we were finishing our climb yesterday, I recognized the area and I have finally found the trail that I first rode on as we came down after the bike haul in 2020. It is Tommy's Two Step! Now it's an uphill only, but it is the one! I've been looking for it, cause I remember it and remember how I was freaked out on it that first time biking down hill - the hill felt so steep! and the corners were so tight!! It was totally good yesterday and I'm glad I finally found it. Back at the room, K took a few pictures of me eating my breakfast salad. They were not flattering, so I shall not share them. I didn't have veggies today cause I was stuffed from over eating last night (Mark served up chicken and ravioli). Yesterday K tried taking a few selfies but kept taking pics of her hand, it was cute. She gave up and wanted me to take a photo of her. Here is that photo - in portrait modeShe's our princess.


No comments:
Post a Comment