Today is Hyrum's Happy Birthday! It was a full and busy day too... First day of school for 4 our kids at home, LSNO, Hyrum was working, Corey too, we all went to the temple together this afternoon and then came here for cake and ice cream. We put allll the candles on Hyrum's cake.
23 candles, so we really lit the cake on fire!Then I asked if we should sing to Abi too, cause she'll be gone for her b-day next month. "I have to share my birthday?" Hyrum joked as I put a candle back on.
Yes, let's sing again.
Sorry you have to share your day Hyrum, but it's Abi's last, so she's been calling the shots today, trying to do every "last" thing she wanted to do during her last 24 hours in Utah. She goes to the airport tomorrow morning and flies out at 9:53, Delta flight 628. She for sure wanted to go out to eat at Aubergine, and we thought it would be fun for all the adults that could come to join. We also thought it would be good to go do sealings at the temple, cause Abi hadn't done those yet. After texting back and forth with the Utah Wrides about what times everyone was available, we decided to go to the Draper Temple at 4 for sealings and then to Aubergine on 123rd south after that. We were all kinda running late and coming from different places, but that was ok cause sealings are more flexible that way. It was really great to do sealings together, to be in a quiet, beautiful sacred space surrounded by the people we love most. We went to the celesital room afterwards and Corey and I talked with Abi, gave her a group hug, a few tears flowing as all this was becoming "real" for her, and yeah, it was really great. Group photo afterwards -Natalie came a long with us and she was outside watching Alvie during the sealings.
It was a little noisy inside but it was good and fun. I can't remember what I ordered, if it was the vitality bowl or better earth bowl - whichever once has brussle sprouts (they were a little burnt/over toasted). Abi got the same as me, Wayne got the salmon plate, Hyrum got the chicken curry, Ethan ran to a different store to get something else for him and Bella. Natalie didn't want anything but she was ok to try brownie layers.
She said they weren't sweet enough. I'm sorry, Natalie, but you might not be worthy of these. Alvie is though. He's been a clean eater since birth.
As we "went to the cars" we actually just stood in the doorway in people's way and kept talking - Wayne said he was going to head home. He gave Abi a hug and said he hopes he'll still be here when she gets back.
We talked for a moment about that, cause Hyrum said he was not expecting it at all when JeNeal passed away while he was on his mission. It could happen, but we'll all go forward and trust in the Lord's care and providence. Subject turned to lighter topics as Ethan shared some of his woes with BYU's parking (their car recently got booted). Hyrum told about his experiences at BYUI getting parking tickets. We decided to move the conversation home - Abi, Natalie and I stopped for the bday cake at Smiths. I asked Hyrum what his favorites were, he didn't know, but he was trying to be healthy, so... Ok, so you want something that will not be tempting to you? How about playdough ice cream, cause that's gross but that will make your younger siblings happy? "I actually like playdough..." oh, ok, well then do you want me to get that cause you like it? We went back and forth, he then said I could just decide. I chose a German Chocolate cake and chocolate cookie crumble ice cream. We sang happy b-day and sliced and dished it all out. Then we all kept talking. Ethan and Hyrum trying to once again establish who are the OGs in the family.
Abi and Lily trying to fight for their place, Sophi didn't vie for anything and recognizes she doesn't make the cut.
It was funny - I recorded their conversation for a few minutes, then also of Ethan giving Abi advice before they left... "Everything from here on out just sucks. You're not a kid anymore." Something like that, haha.
"Don't think you can quit and come home to get away from hard things, cause it still sucks here!" Thoughts of his car getting booted fresh on his mind! He also printed up a hard copy of The Baton to give to her, with a nice cover and spiral binding. Super thoughtful. I think she'll make it if she looks to Christ, strives to endure, and follows the advice of these strong examples who've gone before her.
Abi asked if we could also go see Jenna, who had gotten her wisdom teeth out today, but she lives downtown, and it was late, and she was supposed to be in bed at 10:30, and we all gotta get up early, so I vetoed that idea. Back at home, I'm going to bed now, the girls are having a last late night talk -
Katharine fell asleep on Abi's lap. We took a pic of her on Abi's phone, I'll get it later. The moment is almost here, so you kids in the morning!
Oh, yeah, two more pics - first day of school for Skyline and Churchill. The girls talking this morning -
Owen up and ready to begin junior high!Natalie and Owen did a back to school pic for me.
Then time for carpool - Corey will be taking it almost every morning this year, MWThF. Owen and his friend Oscar.
I really tried to persuade everyone to avoid this - we don't have to drive out there! The kids can go to Albion and Brighton and ride the bus! But no one listened to me. So now I don't have the van ever cause Lily has to drive out there, but Corey and I will both go to the temple on Tuesday mornings and I'll have his car on Tuesdays for any errands. Corey also sent me a news article this morning, a Deseret News Opinion, by Sabin Howard, saying that he is searching for a new home for his monument the Grand Liberty Arch. I just looked up some news and found this one on KSL. I'm a little sad, but maybe they could still find a place in Utah? Or wherever it ends up, I know they will find a good home for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment