Saturday, May 9, 2020

Messes

We went to RC Willey and ordered three triple bunk beds a week ago. They should be arriving next week. One would think that 10-14 days would be enough time for us to clean up the bedrooms and be ready to put them up. But we're not ready. And if we can't get ready today, on "the weekend", I don't think it's gonna happen.
We also talked about painting the kids rooms. They've done a bit of damage to the wall surfaces over the years....
...with tape, staplers, nail holes, etc, but the WORST, seriously, has been the "damage-free" Command Strips. They have ripped many a patch of paint off of the wall. They probably are damage free for college kids, but they have not been removed properly in our home. Too bad. So yeah, the walls need help. I sometimes wonder what is the right balance between letting the kids express themselves and own their space (as they have done here in the corner of the girl's room) and me creating space in our home that I like and that is pretty.
If we paint, I'm going to probably be a little protective of the walls. The girls all really want to paint, and I said "We can paint! ...IF we can get the floors clear, but we have to have them cleared off today." But we couldn't do it. It's an uphill battle. Why is it such a battle, when they look like such sweet agreeable children....
But looks can be deceiving, my dear. I thought that was a pretty cute picture Lily did though. I also got a kick out of these lego characters that Owen made today and that he brought to breakfast.
Raptor Skeleton with a flame torch for a hand, Storm Trooper skeleton, and a gun wielding elves goblin. They are probably pretty epic characters in my 4 year old's mind's eye. It's fun to see the world through them. Owen and Peter were really enjoying the dirt today.
We have plenty of dirt for them to play with and dig up in the backyard, but they just have to choose the patch of dirt (that we are trying to help become grass again) as their chosen location for mud making. I admit it is a convenient location, since it is right where the water drains off of the patio, since we washed it and are trying to make things clean back there....
Yeah good luck with that, Mom! So I let them make a mess, and I worked outside in the front trying to get rid of our out of control morning glory. I also replanted two little pine trees in the front yard, that I found a few years ago over in the rocks by the side of the house (where the garbage cans are) and so I moved them into better locations years ago, but moved them again today, not that I know what I'm doing. I carried O and P straight into the tub when they had made a sufficient mess and had lost interest in their dirt. Peter came inside and was playing Peek a boo with Abi and that was super cute to watch. He'd go walk between the chaise and the wall...
And see if Abi could find him...
Hiding himself a little harder...
Peter we still see you! Super cute kid. They are messy, noisy, dirty, and fun. There are plenty of lovely moments that outweigh the challenging and mundane. They are worth it, and I love being a mother and having these little friends in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...