Thursday, October 29, 2020

School Parties

I am taking Churchill carpool again because my kid driver, Hyrum, is doing school online this term. A nice thing about that is that he's available to help do carpool in the morning if and when I want. I had him take today so that I could help the girls do their hair and put on some make up for school. They were excited for this big day, it's so fun wear make up and costumes to school! 

If 2020 were a normal school year, I would have had a Halloween parade to attend and a 2nd grade Halloween program to attend. But this year was a little less stressful for me since those things were cancelled. (I don't mean to be a grouch, but getting over to the school for those activities usually causes me stress). They still had classroom parties, so it was a win-win: they still got to dress up, and I didn't have to haul toddlers over to the school (like for Sophi's program last year). Sorry you didn't get a Halloween program, Natalie! She never mentioned any sad feelings of missing out on anything, yay. Natalie, you are a cute little pirate.
I'm glad we've gotten our money's worth out of that costume! Abi was the pirate first in 2017, Lily was in 2018, and Sophi last year in 2019, This year Sophi wanted to be a vampire. I had told myself that we were not going to buy anything for costumes this year. They could make due with the big box of costumes that we had. But Corey didn't know I had made that oath, so we bought some vampire teeth for Sophi on our date night with Mel a few weeks ago. Corey was just going to get her those regular kiddie vampire teeth, but I thought these bigger ones would be more official looking/better. 
I think I was wrong. These weren't better, cause poor Sophi couldn't talk or open her mouth with them in. 
Sorry Soph, that was my bad. I'm sure you'll get lots of little fake teeth today, and you can wear those trick or treating. Also a few weeks ago, she presented me with a drawing of what she was visualizing for her attire. I told her I didn't think I could sew that and tried to lower her expectations... but thankfully Kid to Kid came through and I found two things that I put together for her that was like what she wanted - with the high collar cape and the torn fringe on the skirt. Also the black boots were a good find. One last pic of Sophi sans the vampire teeth. There's my cute little vampire. 
Sophi has been a little sad about covid cancelling stuff. She's sad we aren't having the annual pizza party at the neighbor's house, and she's worried that the wax museum and the "School House Rocks" will be cancelled. I tried to comfort her, saying that it's ok to feel sad, and that we'll see what happens, but I also tried to give some perspective that in reality, this trail we are all going through isn't bad compared to what other generations have faced. We can get through this! They will still have a fun day with classroom parties and activities. Off to school.
Last night I did a last minute run to Kid to Kid with Lily so she could find something to wear to school today. And this costume was more my style (aka frugal). Lily bought a "Cat in the Hat" had for $2 bucks (and 50% off!), then we found an old zoot suit from Wes' Little Big Band days, and a little black eye liner on her cheeks - and voilĂ , perfect!
Pretty cute! Lily showed me how her outfit doubled as a magician 
After I got home last night with Lily's costume, Owen wanted to go get a lion costume. I had just seen one there on the rack... I think it was his size... ok - so I grabbed him and we hurried out to go back to Kid to Kid. We grabbed the lion costume. Then he looked around a bit more and said "I think I don't want to be a lion..." And he saw this dragon costume. It was for size 2-4. It kinda looked like it would fit him though, so ok, we got the dragon costume. It was too tight between his legs, so I spent this morning cutting it off and cinching the waist to make it it a dragon dress shirt. 

He looked cute riding his bike to the bus stop - pedaling his little feet, in a dragon dress, with his big back pack. Cute cute kindergarteners. And with that, we're done with the school part of Halloween for this year! Now we just have to carve Natalie's pumpkin before trick or treating on Saturday. Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...