Thursday, August 19, 2021

New Bengal and Soccer Game

Wes had an appointment yesterday to meet with his counselor at Brighton and get his schedule, but we had to cancel that since his flight was cancelled and he was still in Dallas. We rescheduled for this morning. After a safe return flight, and after trashing his room with laundry and luggage, he was able to sleep in his own bed last night, and now it's back to reality. We went to Brighton to talk to his counselor and get his schedule figured out. I'm sure it will be hard and that he will miss Skyline and the familiarity of school there, but this will be a good fresh start. After we left the counselor's office and he headed to class, I tried to take a picture but he wouldn't let me, which is understandable, being as he was surrounded by unknown peers in the halls. I did get this one though, haha.

His schedule is going to be: Early morning seminary at 6am, then Jewelry, Concert Band, US History, Physics, and Ceramics. I think having 5 periods will be better than 8 classes with A days and B days. Hopefully this will be doable and he'll be able to keep on top of it! 

Tonight I had a Relief Society meeting and Sophi had a soccer game at the same time. I was going to go to my meeting, and Corey was going to take Sophi to her game, but.... he has had a bit of Montezuma's revenge since returning from his trip, and he didn't think it would be wise for him to be more than 5 seconds feet from a private bathroom. So, I called and told Diane that I wouldn't be able to come to the meeting, and then I hurried with Sophi out to her game. Peter saw me leaving and wanted to come, so I took him even though I knew it would make things more difficult, and it did. Sophi has had two games so far this week out at the West Joran Soccer Field Complex, but I haven't come to either, so I didn't know where to park or which field they were playing on - but we went and started walking around and I asked for help and then we found the field just in time for warm up. It had been raining at home and I watched the sky for which way the clouds were going, feeling a little bit nervous for how the weather would fair during this game. 

It was crazy windy. Peter was being a good sport, but he was cold. I gave him my jacket. I should have come more prepared!! We're still new to soccer from the side lines - I brought one chair but that was it. I need to come better equipped to these things: blanket and umbrella, and probably a wagon too, cause it wasn't fun pushing Peter across the grass in the umbrella stroller.

We could tell rain was on the way. Coach Marc's wife shared a blanket with me, and he had a few umbrellas in his truck. The son didn't want to go, but I pleaded as I held up Peter "Think of the children!!" Then he walked to the truck to get them, and I was very grateful that they shared it with us, or else I would have just taken shelter in the van (and I'm sure I would have gotten drenched as I ran across the soccer complex to where we had parked.) Right after we got the umbrella up overhead, the rain really started and it continued through the whole game.

Half time huddle under the umbrella.

They called the game a little early, which was fine by me - Red United lost against Surf with a final score of 0-13. But they are still smiling!
The girls were drenched. Sophi played with out her glasses, cause it's easier to see without glasses than with glasses covered in rain drops and fog. 

Two texts that I sent to Corey tonight... first at the beginning of the game: "This is miserable" and after the game ended "That sucked". I stand by those two brief sentences. I did not like having a soccer tournament the first week of school. I had to go check Sophi out of school early on Tuesday and Wednesday. It was crazy too, cause on Tuesday, when I thought I'd be picking up Corey and Wes at the airport, I arranged for my mom to take Abi to flute, and I went and checked Sophi out of school and took her to a fellow player Claire's parents at Willow something school where they were picking up their daughter - so all that juggling only to have Corey's flight cancelled and then I had to do it again yesterday when Catherine's mom Rachel helped me out and met me at Granite to pick up Sophi, it was just nuts. I vote to keep soccer games on Saturdays and that's it. I'm not loving competition soccer so far - the extra fees and costs and extra practices and this Freedom Cup tournament during the first week of school is just a bad idea. Next year I'm leaning toward just doing rec soccer, but we'll stick with this through the spring and then reevaluate then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...