Monday, February 28, 2022

Series of Unfortunate Events

Yesterday I was being lazy and trying to lay down and take a rest. Daniel knocked at the door and wanted me to get his bike so he could ride around the kitchen like he and Peter like to do. I didn't want to move from my horizontal position, so I call Corey who was downstairs to ask him to go get D's bike. Corey outsourced it to Abi. Abi obediently went to the garage, but she got Owen's bike instead. Corey told her it was the wrong kid's bike, and she went out and put Owen's bike back and got Daniel's bike. BUT, Owen's bike supposedly rolled backward a little bit from where she put it and it moved into the path of where the garage would close. It was also in such a position that the little sensor thing, that prevents it from closing on things in the way, went through the spokes of the bike. A few moments later, when the garage was closed, it closed on his bike. The bike was not damaged, but the garage came off the track on that west side of the garage. We didn't dare touch it to possibly cause more damage, so we  left it open all night with a prayer that no one would steal anything out of the garage. 

In the morning I texted the garage guy. He's a nice guy that a neighbor recommended when I sent out a fb request for help with the garage back in 2017.  He didn't seem like the most professional garage repair guy back then, he was more of a small business owner, and he did a decent job and the price was fair. He texted me back today that he was busy but could fit us in. He came by around 2. He looked at our situation and got it back on the track, but confessed that he didn't have the right size spring. Things have been on back order since covid slowed things down. He made due with a spring he had that wasn't the right size, hoping that it would get us by a week or two until he got the right size spring. "Just use it as little as possible." Ok. So I let Corey and Wes know that we shouldn't use it very much, since it was on the side of the garage where they park. They got the message. I didn't close it after the repair guy left and the plan was to just close it after both Wes and Corey were home for the night. When Wes came home from work, he told himself not to close it and he resisted pushing the garage closer in the car. BUT as he walked into the house, out of habit, he closed it from the button by the garage door. I was in the kitchen, Wes waw walking towards me and I heard a bad loud sound, turned around, and Wes was frozen "Oops!! Sorry I didn't close it in the car but I pushed the button without thinking!" We went out to see the damage. It was worse than before and both sides were totally off the track, each side barely hanging on by one roller. It also had been pulled from where it was screwed to the ceiling. Doh!

I googled "garage emergency" cause it was barely hanging on and I thought the whole thing was going to come down on top of us. 
Wes moved the car outside and I texted Corey to NOT push his button as he pulled close to the house. Google gave me a link to A+ garage doors. It said they were available 24/7 so I called and two hours later a nice guy from A+ garage doors came out to save the day. It was one of the worst he's seen as he was surprised that it hadn't fallen down. I told her how our previous helper didn't have the right size spring and admitted that, and that I heard springs were on back order, but he said he had the right size to fix it. Oh yay! More good news - he could fix it tonight. YAY! Bad news - this was going to be a big project. He gave us a $1200 estimate to fix it. Well, I don't think we have any other options so go ahead. It probably would not have been that much if I had just called them the first time earlier today when it was only the west side that was off. Next time I'll probably call A+ Garage doors right away. 2 hours later he was all done. $129 for the emergency after hours dispatch fee, $300 for the Torsion Reset, $700 for a double door overhaul with new springs, cables, nylon rollers, steel bearings and drums and a 5 year parts and labor guarantee, and grand total is $70 less than expected at a mere $1129. I was impressed he did it all by himself. I paid him, we closed the garage, and now we are going to bed. 

Abi took responsibility for the situation, as did Corey, and so did I. My moral of the story/take away: Next time, get your pregnant body off the couch and get the kids' bike yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...