Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Be of Good Cheer

An apple blossom in bloom - from the blog "LOST STONES"

Corey regularly listens to online talk radio while he works, and one program in particular by Dennis Prager - the "Male/Female Hour" - is always good. This weeks discussion: "Girls and women have to learn to control their emotions just like boys and men have to learn to control their aggression and libido." Listen to it HERE.

I haven't finished listening to it yet, but so far it all rings true. I want and need help controlling my emotions! It is a real battle women face. And being pregnant doesn't help me - I feel like I'm getting more than my fair share lately... I had 3 closet cry-fests last week.

Today I was over at Mom and Dad's dropping off two kids so I could go to a doctor appointment. I picked up a book from their shelf, "PECULIAR - In A Good Way" by Mary Ellen Edmunds. I read it at the doctor while I waited, and found the chapter "Be of Good Cheer" to be just what I needed to hear. Here's a little of what she says...

"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come." Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

"Be of good cheer" is not a suggestion, it is a commandment!

President Gordon B. Hinckley has shared so much about being of good cheer. At the general women's meeting on 29 September 1984, he quoted the Lord's words, "Wherefore, lift up thy heart and rejoice, and cleave unto the covenants which thou hast made" (D&C 25:12) He then said: "I believe he is saying to each of us, be happy. The gospel is a thing of joy. It provides us with a reason for gladness. Of course there are times of sorrow, Or course there are hours of concern and anxiety. We all worry. But the Lord has told us to lift our hearts and rejoice. I see many people, including many women (he probably saw me!) who seem to never see the sunshine, but who constantly walk with storms under cloudy skies. Cultivate an attitude of happiness. cultivate a spirit of optimism. Walk with faith, rejoicing in the beauties of nature, in the goodness of those you love, in the testimony which you carry in your heart concerning things divine." ("If Thou Art Faithful," Ensign, November 1984)

What a fantastic invitation from a prophet! "Cultivate an attitude of happiness. Cultivate a spirit of optimism." He asks that we cultivate a spirit of gladness in our homes, and that we let the light of the gospel shine in our faces wherever we go and in whatever we do. And I love the three suggestions he mentions of things to be joyful about, cause I am and can be joyful about these things! I will focus on them more:

1 - THE BEAUTIES OF NATURE

Daffodil from the blog "LOST STONES"

I love flowers. I HAVE TO plant some flowers this year. FYI, I've been looking the past few days at THIS home for sale in West Bountiful. Not too impressive on the outside, but lots of upgrades inside. One of the things I love about this house is the great yard - .33 acres, a garden area, play place for the kids, plus room to kick around a soccer ball (but mostly the garden area - I need to work in the earth and get connected to nature!).

2 - THE GOODNESS OF THOSE YOU LOVE

I let Corey's business stress me out too much, but I love that he is passionate about it, I love the righteous desires of his heart. He wants to make the world a better place, he wants to serve others and help them achieve their dreams and better lives with his software. Corey, I love your goodness!

3 - THE TESTIMONY WHICH YOU CARRY IN YOUR HEART CONCERNING THINGS DIVINE

I know God is leading us along. There is an amazing woman in my ward, Shannon Cloward, who had a near death experience several years ago - she calls it her "Miracle up on the Mountain". She was hiking with some other outdoor lovers in our ward and they were up on an icy mountain top - she had her icepick with her, but lost her balance on a steep slope and fell back, tumbling toward an edge and to what she knew would be her death. When she accepted her fate, she had one last thought about her children and who would take care of them. At that moment, she literally felt something grab her and stop her cold right at the edge of the cliff. Her feet were dangling over the edge. It was a miracle that stopped her. That was the last day of her life, and she knows that every day since then has been an extra day to enjoy, a blessing from the Lord. She shared that story in a sacrament meeting talk. She also shared this line that I'm trying to engrain in my memory and life "The Lord knows what he is doing with my life." He is in control, we need to recognize that - we are in His hands, and we can trust Him with our life cause He loves us. HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING WITH MY LIFE, so I will repent again of my murmurings (and female emotions that I need to learn to control!!!) and will try again to live each day with good cheer and to trust in His care. Amen!

3 comments:

  1. Tiff, that house looks awesome on the inside with a great office for Corey and your scrapbooking and the yard, I would be totally jealous. Just think, we'd be only 10-15 minutes away . . . can I just say babysitting swap

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffanie! That would make us only 5 minutes away from each other! It is great and I LOVE the garden and yard! That was a beautiful post that we all need to read to remind ourselves to be happy and trust in our Heavenly Father! It will all work out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! It is so true! I didn't know you were expecting, and that makes it all so much harder, hormones and all. But the reminders to focus on the goodness in our lives are always WONDERFUL! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...