Thursday, May 14, 2009

Helping with Yard Work

After Hyrum left for school this afternoon, I stayed outside with Abigail and Wesley to do a little bit of spontaneous yard work - I recently purchased some hedging shears and a hand pruner. I was trimming down some bushes while Wes rode his bike and Abi pushed her baby stroller. After seeing the exciting things I was up to, Wesley wanted to help. I gave him the shears and helped him trim, but they were too big for him. So then I went and got the pruners for him to play with. I don't worry about him cutting himself, so I didn't have any concerns. I went to change where the sprinkler head was watering, and when I came back, I saw that Wesley had moved from hedging the bushes (which are so big and out of control that he really couldn't have gone wrong cutting those so again, I wasn't worried...) but as I turned to rejoin him with our clipping, I saw he had pruned the heads off of my pot of geraniums that I planted a week ago. My first attempt while at this house at beautifying our yard, and that is the help I get! "No-no-no-no-no!!!" I said. Wesley tried to defend his actions by saying "But I don't like flowers!!" I think it was just an excuse. But it was an honest mistake, he was just clipping away, not knowing the difference between bush and flower. So I'm learning about yard work with kids - I thought it would have been obvious, but now I shall proactively teach them to value flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...