Friday, August 17, 2012

Arches National Park

We took a little road trip yesterday. It was fun and I'm glad we did it. And Corey and I both had our patience stretched and hopefully increased cause we endured a lot-o complaining by our 4 middle children, who really excelled at doing their part to let us know they were not enduring it well.

We were on the road at 6:30 for a 4 hour drive down to Moab.
We first went by Crystal Geyser which was pretty cool. The kids liked climbing around looking for rocks, and I liked taking pictures of the rocks and patterns, it was so pretty.
 
I also had flashbacks to another time and place as we drove down the dirt road with pot holes - reminded me of our weekly drive to church in Costa Rica - minus the trees.
The landscape was fascinating to me, I felt like I was driving on Mars. ...Not that I've ever driven on Mars... or on the moon (5:47~)

Went on a hike around the North and South Windows
Drove around the park, all of it is beautiful and other-worldly. Very cool.
We went to see Delicate Arch last, just the shorter viewpoint hike cause the kids were about in full mutiny mode as we woke them up yet again from their slumber in the car. It was hot, but aren't you glad that this is just for today, you will back home before you know it, there is a known end in sight unlike for the pioneers. Oh quit complaining! sigh.  We reminded them of all the times that they've complained, from our day at the waterfall in Costa Rica to going to Chile etc etc, they are always griping but then look back on it fondly, and children THAT is why your father and I are able to endure it well through these times.  You'll learn to endure too.  ...And the faster the better for all of us.  I mean really, does it make you happier to complain?  Remember Elder Holland's advice -"Yes, life has its problems, and yes, there are negative things to face, but please accept one of Elder Holland’s maxims for living—no misfortune is so bad that whining about it won’t make it worse." which I heard and took to heart while I was living and complaining on a daily basis in Brazil.  See!  I'm learning, too!
And the little person that these little eyes belong to was freaking out for only about 45 minutes of the long drive home, so that's pretty good for a baby.  But man, I thought she was having a conniption, to quote Bill Cosby.  You don't want to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...