Saturday, February 9, 2019

Playing Family

This morning I ran out to IKEA to drop off a package for Joseph. It was just a small package, less than 3 pounds. He requested a foot file, so we sent that, Valentine letters the kids wrote, and I also printed this talk by Lawrence Corbridge called "Stand Forever". Corey shared it with me last week. I listened to it a few times in the early morning nursing hours, but I'd doze off or it just wouldn't really be hitting me, but then I listened to it as I cleaned the basement this past week and it finally spoke to me. The climax of the message for me, especially as I thought of the wonder of our new infant -

We may all be taken back from time to time by the extraordinary—such as walking on water, multiplying bread and fish, raising the dead, translating gold plates with special lenses or a stone and hat, and the visitation of angels. Some people are hard-pressed to believe extraordinary things. While it is understandable that we may be challenged by the extraordinary, we shouldn’t be, because ordinary things are actually far more phenomenal.

The most phenomenal occurrences of all time and eternity—the most amazing wonders, the most astounding, awesome developments—are the most common and widely recognized. They include: I am; you are; we are; and all that we perceive exists as well, from subatomic particles to the farthest reaches of the cosmos and everything in between, including all of the wonders of life. Is there anything greater than those ordinary realities? No. Nothing else even comes close. You can’t begin to imagine, much less describe, anything greater than what already is.

In light of what is, nothing else should surprise us. It should be easy to believe that with God all things are possible.

The healing of the withered hand is not nearly as amazing as the existence of the hand in the first place. If it exists, it follows that it can certainly be fixed when it is broken. The greater event is not in its healing but in its creation.


I loved it. It is all amazing. With all the things that could possibly go wrong in child bearing and birth, it's a wonder anyone is born at all - but look around at all the people that beat the odds! Each one with a beating heart and lungs that breath, blood that carries the oxygen to the brain, letting us think and reason, work and do... What a miracle life is. Caterpillars and plants (Romanesco broccoli!), and the culmination of creation - you and me. Not to mention that the circumstances are just right for life to exist on this floating marble in the first place - I totally agree with him, that "in light of what already exists, nothing else should surprise us." Amen. Anyway, awesome talk, go give it a listen. We also thought it went along with some things Joseph asked Corey last week, and also just cause it's awesome. So, we sent off a package, and when I came home, I saw these two cuties in a game. I used to call it "House" when I was a kid - we'd play house. But Natalie said "We are playing 'Family!'"
Daniel was being so sweet with his baby doll.
He is careful with Peter too, but I just don't let him get that close or spend much time with him. But Daniel asks to hold Peter, by saying "Hold it! Hold it!" I try to let them hold him if I can, but it's hard - cause if Peter is awake, he's usually wants to eat and will cry if I make him wait so his siblings can pass him around. He was accommodating to Owen this afternoon, and Owen was delighted.
You're holding Baby Peter! What a good brother.
Cute boys.

One last bit about Peter - he has little dark hairs on his ears that we think are adorable. You might need to zoom in, but it's cute/funny, our little hairy man.
I was focusing on his ear as I nursed him today - he was holding my fingers, I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...