Thursday, November 20, 2008

My 2 cents on the election and life on this earth - "The Best is Yet to Come."

I was very disappointed that Obama won the election. I was also surprised that he won by such a wide margin of electoral votes. My kids who are so influences by me were obviously equally disappointed. (They are so funny, Ethan has been the most upset.) I think people that voted for him are well intentioned, but I also believe the majority of his supporters were uninformed, as shown by the video and other content/facts on this website. I agree with Rush Limbaugh who has said that Ignorance is American's most dangerous commodity. I also agree with Rush that it's very difficult to win an election by voting against someone, and I was definitely voting against Obama and not necessarily for McCain.

Time will tell if his new president leaves our country better or worse. Although Congress equally bears the responsiblity of leading our country, and things haven't been great for helping Bush with them in control for the past 6 years. I'm a little worried with Democrats having control of both houses of congress and the presidency. But we'll keep living our life and hope that none of their policies and taxes kill Corey's business.

At General Conference, Elder Perry said "we know beyond the shadow of any doubt that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true and the best is yet to come." - I did notice at that time that he didn't put a disclaimer saying "...depending on who wins the US election for the Presidency." so that gave me comfort to be still and know that God is in charge and "THE BEST IS YET TO COME!" (I also did notice that President Monson talked about "Change" and Pres. Uchtdorf talked about "Hope" and I was jokingly thinking "What?!? They support Obmama?!?! What is going on here?!?!"

From my journal the morning after Election Day
Wednesday, 5 November 2008
Well, yesterday was election day, and it is now 7:36 a.m. and I checked out the results online and will now begin trying to get used to the phrase "President Obama". Oh that does not sound good to me. I've said my morning prayers and told the Lord that I am not happy that Obama won, but will be of good cheer (perhaps mostly by avoiding the lack of cheer that would inevitably come to me by watching the news, thus I shall rarely watch the news again for the next 4 years) and that I also pray that Obama's win will somehow help God's Kingdom to roll forward and fill the earth... cause it seems that all the people in Iran and Iraq and Palestinian wanted Obama to win, so maybe now the US will have good feelings with them and they'll open their borders to the preaching of the gospel? - that's my theory. I also just read in the book of Ether how the Lord had compassion on the brother of Jared and his family and friends despite the crumbling culture chaos around them, which leads me to hope and believe that the Lord will bless and protect America and the Church even though Obama is the next President. I will probably say "Oh Dear" for a while these next few months, but will try and push those thoughts our of my mind and replace them with faith.
Also, last night before bed Corey and I read a great article called "The Lord Can Ease Our Burdens" which had a lot of time/election results appropriate advice for me, I will probably read it again. It ends with this scripture: "Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God" (D&C 101:16). We can trust in the Lord (as I sigh "oh dear...").

2 comments:

  1. I know you aren't alone in your feelings, but I love that quote from Elder Perry, "The best is yet to come." I will have to share that with a friend of mine who is having some woeful times! Thanks for your thoughts and insights! Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how influenced our kids are by us. We voted for Obama (us being liberal environmentalists and all :) but our 6-year-old Ethan came home from school the day of the inauguration, collapsed down on the couch, and sighed, "I wish John McCain had won". I couldn't help but giggle. It was just further evidence to me of how kids this age look for ways to be independent of their parents and assert their opinions. I was also just glad he actually got the name right! When questioned about why he wanted McCain to win, he stated "because that other guy's name just sounds too funny to be president". I guess everyone has their reasons. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love your writing style!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...