Friday, June 3, 2011

Adios Craigslist

I posted five different things for sale on Craiglist yesterday, and got five emails in reply, each from a different person but suspiciously un-different as well. I think Craigslist has been overrun with Nigerian scammers and I'm thinking I'm just not going to bother with it anymore, better to just be charitable and give them to the DI. But these responses did made me laugh. I was suspicious because of #1) how unusual the names are for such a usual place as Utah, and #2) the way they talked with their "Hiya"s "Heya"s and "Howdy"s :

Miriam Sabir, I am interested in this bed. please call me 801-953-8015. Thanks

Dorin Klingshirn, Hello be sure to call me 440-756-6118. Actually Say thanks.

Gica Urbanek - Heya be certain to call me 965-867-8800. Correct Thanks a lot.

Kamler Urbanek - Howdy you can call me 338-743-8705. Sincere Thanks.

Willmschen Rougeot - Hiya you should call me 959-042-4506. Sensible With thanks.

That first one might be legit, I did email her a reply but haven't heard back. For some reason I don't want to call any of these numbers, even just for curiosity's sake. I should Google and see what's the latest scam strategy is. Any of you have similar experiences, or do you not use Craigslist. I was introduced to the "Free" section of KSL today, I heard items go really fast, so maybe if I don't feel like taking a trip to the DI tomorrow, maybe I'll post them there and see what happens. The KSL seems to be better here in Utah than Craigslist. I'll use Craigslist again if we ever go back to DC. But for now, farewell Craigslist! I won't be posting anymore, but will still probably browse around your for sale section now and then.

4 comments:

  1. Go to whitepages.com and do reverse search with the phone numbers! It might be kind of fun to discover the location of origin because they all have different area codes. I've lived in MANY locations across the US and those don't look at all familiar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped using Craigslist a while ago. My sister in LA has great luck, but I stick to KSL. Putting things in the free section is great entertainment. The people come running...literally to pick up your junk! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your post when searching for info regarding such postings on Craigslist. I just received a similar response to my ad with only this text "Howdy you'll want to call me ###-8354." It didn't include an area code and also there was the hidden text BEANIE BABIES right after the phone number but the text was in white so I didn't initially see it until I copied the line of text to use for Google searching.

    Just a word on KSL. I'm on the east coast and was looking to move out to Utah last spring and was using it to find a home rental. I ran into a scam there as well, with the "landlord" saying on a Friday night that he/she lived in Texas and could meet me in Utah on Sunday to see the place but of course I needed to secure it with a deposit. So be careful of KSL as well. Scammers are everywhere. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...