Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Capitol

Corey and I have both watched more news today than we have for a long time. Today it started with Corey sending me a link about passengers on a plane harassing Senator Mitt Romney. I'm so proud of him and how he handled that. The poor guy was minding his own business, just leave him alone. That lady was mean, and I wouldn't like being treated like they treated him. It'd be nice if we all channeled a little more Mr. Rogers into our daily walk with our fellowman. So that started the day for me and then things got crazy from there, as the world is well aware. We were both kinda glued to our computers. He watched things from work and sent me stuff, I was watching here at home. I'd say I generally don't follow the news except for video clips that Corey sends me. Today he sent me a link to the President's speech, and then we saw what happened afterwards with the capitol being stormed. (photo credit)

I loved Mitt Romeny's comments tonight. I'm really proud of him. Corey's liked him for forever. I think I first heard of him when he turned around the Salt Lake Winter Olympics in 2002. I remember being really excited about his first run for President in 2008. And even more when he won the Republican nomination in 2012. I was really bummed when he lost. That was when I decided, once again, to focus my efforts on my kids and my home. That is where I will make a difference. So I was just looking over the list of my reasons why I was voting for Romney and also voting against Obama, and all my Obama reasons have been like a TON worse with Trump - more debt, more golf, more dishonesty... like I'm just shaking my head at how much worse Trump has been. We knew it would be bad. Corey and I never liked him. Corey just said "You don't vote for crazy people." He said as much after Trump won. Corey tonight: "I want to be on the right side of history when it comes to crazy mad men with power." It took me a little while to get over it after Mitt lost, but that was when I decided to let God prevail and turn the fate of our country over to Him. I think it's gotten so much worse since then and we haven't had any good presidential choices since, but I will Trust in God. Of all the things I read and heard today, I'll just share Senator Romney's remarks tonight (the video here includes a few unscripted comments he made, like about losing an election "I've been there myself... its' no fun!" We are proud he represents our state:  

“We gather today due to a selfish man’s injured pride and the outrage of his supporters whom he has deliberately misinformed for the past two months and stirred to action this very morning. What happened here today was an insurrection, incited by the President of the United States. Those who choose to continue to support his dangerous gambit by objecting to the results of a legitimate, democratic election will forever be seen as being complicit in an unprecedented attack against our democracy. They will be remembered for their role in this shameful episode in American history. That will be their legacy.

“The objectors have claimed they are doing so on behalf of the voters. Have an audit, they say, to satisfy the many people who believe that the election was stolen. Please! No Congressional led audit will ever convince those voters, particularly when the President will continue to claim that the election was stolen. The best way we can show respect for the voters who are upset is by telling them the truth. That is the burden, and the duty, of leadership. The truth is that President-elect Biden won this election. President Trump lost. Scores of courts, the President’s own Attorney General, and state election officials both Republican and Democrat have reached this unequivocal decision.

“We must not be intimidated or prevented from fulfilling our constitutional duty. We must continue with the count of electoral college votes. In light of today’s sad circumstances, I ask my colleagues: Do we weigh our own political fortunes more heavily than we weigh the strength of our Republic, the strength of our democracy, and the cause of freedom? What is the weight of personal acclaim compared to the weight of conscience?

“Leader McConnell said that the vote today is the most important in his 40 plus years of public service. That is not because this vote reveals something about the election; it is because this vote reveals something about ourselves. I urge my colleagues to move forward with completing the electoral count, to refrain from further objections, and to unanimously affirm the legitimacy of the presidential election.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...