Tuesday, September 7, 2021

It's Not Too Late

We added a little more to our morning schedule today with Sophi and Natalie going to participate in an elementary school orchestra. 

When Sophi first wanted to sign up for this, I thought it was going to just be over at our school and that I'd drop her off and then she'd just go to class after. But it is at a different elementary school. It's not very far away, but I texted the lady and told her we weren't going to be able to do it. I felt that having to drive over there to drop off and then back to pick up at the same time that I'm taking jr. high carpool (after just getting back from taking Lily to jazz band (after taking Wes to early morning seminary)) and  also getting Owen out the door, when I might also have Daniel and Peter awake and underfoot, could be nuts. I didn't explain all of that to her, but she kinda pleaded with me to participate (via a bawling emoji) cause there was only one other violinist in advanced orchestra. So... we tried it out today and I think we're going to stick with it, so buckle up Tiff. Most of the other kids in class are just beginning to learn violin, so Natalie and Sophi felt pretty cool that they already know so much, like how to play twinkle twinkle little star. 

So we're mostly going to stick with this in hopes that it works to help Sophi and Natalie identify as violinists. They are already feeling pretty good and special that they got to stand up in front of the others to show how it's done. If we can get them to believe that they are violin players, and they are good violin players, maybe it will help them work a little harder to keep that edge. And it also served as a very good example to Natalie regarding dance and her desire to quit. She's been complaining a bit cause she can't do the splits and cause there are other things that are "hard" - and I pointed out - look, you're just like one of the beginner violinists, but in dance you're the beginner! You can learn it if you keep at it! Don't quit! I don't have a total strong opinion on dance like I do with music, but we do want her to be doing something physical, so whether it's dance or soccer or biking, that doesn't matter to me. But I don't want her to quit cause it's hard or cause she's not in the mood, so we're pushing her a little longer with it. It's a game, not a test! We watched this Mark Rober video with the kids recently - the Super Mario Effect, and I loved it. Just think of violin and of dance as a game - try again! There's no penalty! You can have as many tries as you want, just keep at it, look at what you learned from your mistakes, and try again. Another example of this was Owen's spelling. I looked at his papers today after school and I loved it. I quizzed Wes - I asked "Imagine you are Owen - what does P - R - X - L - E spell?" Wes didn't get it the right answer (It's Park City) but after I told him, Wes was like "Yeah! I can see how he'd think that spells Park City!" It was cute and might be a fun game to continue playing. Wes asked for me to give him another one... "J-A-G-S" (Dragons) "D-I-S-R-S" (Dinosaurs). Owen did do his friend Mason's name right. I'd say Zebra was missing a syllable, but this is great! Sure, he misspelled most of the words, but he's trying and he's learning and I have no doubt that he will know how to spell each of those words some day. 
When God see's our efforts, as imperfect as they are, I bet he smiles cause we are trying. One more: "F-Y-E-S" (Friends).
It's good that Owen doesn't have self awareness to criticize himself or get discouraged and frustrated. We adults and our teenagers could take some lessons from the examples of little children in this area. We had a good discussion with Wes tonight, who gets overwhelmed at times with how much he has to fix with school. He said it feels like the other kids have mastered the game of school and it's like they are sprinting by - but he's just learning how to walk. He will get there. Corey compared it to a freeway. Sure, he's a junior now so it's a bit late and he might miss the upcoming exit to BYU but there is still a way to get there if he wants to get there, or there are exits for other colleges that will be just fine to take. Just take the next exit, and keep driving, and you can get wherever you want to go. I went to Snow College first and then BYU "and I turned out just fine!" Joseph has friends who wanted to go to BYU and were not accepted for several application rounds before their mission and after they got home, but they are at BYU now. So it's gonna be ok, there is still time to get where you want to go. Wes, there is still time to do whatever you want. You are young, and have many years ahead. Just decide what you want and then work to get it. It's never too late! And like the picture in Mark Rober's video - sure the path might not be straight shot like we thought it would be or had planned, but we can get there, and all those pits, bridges, and water holes will give us experience.
It's never too late to keep working toward your goal. Corey and I are also getting a little better at helping the kids feel the natural consequences of their choices. Lily practiced music today for 30 minutes, but Corey wants her to practice an hour, and Abi reminded Corey that he could take her phone away. Oh yeah! So he took her phone away. Not sure why we forgot that we had that incentive! When she was asking later at scriptures if she could have it back, Corey point out that she didn't follow the rule of practicing the entire required time. I got a good laugh when she protested "I didn't know the rules were being enforced!!" I think that might be the solution to a lot of things around here!! We will take note of that - children, be aware, we plan to enforce all rules from now on and let natural consequences flow and we don't need to feel bad, cause you can still achieve what you want, whatever consequences come. It was funny. 

A few more pictures of a cute moment from today of Daniel and Peter being puppies.
They wanted bowls or dishes, but I showed the puppies that they could lick up the water cause I filled it all the way to the top.
Good puppies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...