Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Provo MTC

Hyrum entered the Missionary Training Center in Provo today for in person training, so now Hyrum is really officially on his mission. 

Several times recently as I've said "Ok, one last picture with Hyrum!" and also since we've taken so many "last pictures" before, he was like "I've seriously already left a hundred times..." like when he and Joseph left before selling in Philly, of when he left when he started the MTC last week, so it was kina like yeah yeah yeah, but also this one really IS the the last one with you, Hyrum!! We're not going to see him again until September 2023! Of course I guess there could be an evacuation of missionaries again if the worldwide pandemic gets worse, but with Hyrum being stateside, he'd probably not come home anyway. 

So this morning, Corey and I hadn't yet decided if we were going to take all the kids to see Hyrum off, or if it would just be some of the older kids... Just in case he didn't see his sisters again, he said goodbye with a salute to Abi and Lily when I took them in carpool.

I stopped by the Temple Quarry on the way home after carpool and picked up 100 granite rocks for Hyrum to take and gift to companions, members, and people he teaches.
Back at home, Hyrum asked me to give him a hair cut before he showered and finished packing. Ethan had teased him on Monday about how he is apostate with such a mop. "Enjoy that while you've got it, cause they're gonna Bic you on Wednesday!" Back when Corey and I were in the MTC, they did check haircuts and so we thought they probably would give him a haircut. He didn't really want one though, and I told him he should just go and let them do it there. But he wanted just a small trim. I kinda tried, but it's hard to trim hair that is too short for scissors, so I got out the clippers...
and I cut it too short, and he feels like he had an "egg head" and I tried to fix it but just kept cutting it shorter. It's still too long for a missionary in my opinion, but he was sad at how short it was. He lamented "I wanna go back to high school" - back in the good ol' days, when kids could grow their hair to the length they wanted. After the finished product was inspected in the mirror, he cried "What have you done?" and "This isn't going to work... you can't just go walking around in public like this!" He was making me laugh, and he was sad. Then he showered and finished packing up.
Corey was at his parents house, and they were going to go pick up Abi and Lily from Jr. High at 10:45. Hyrum needed a few minutes to finish up, so I went to pick up the kids from elementary school and then game back for Hyrum. Natalie looked a little upset and asked "Why are you getting me?" "We're going to say Bye to Hyrum..." "Ok, after I say bye can you take me back? Recess is starting in 1 minute!"  and Owen didn't want to come either, although I don't think he knew what we were doing. I was thinking of leaving Owen but we didn't want him to be the only one that didn't come, but since Natalie didn't want to come either, I said ok. Hyrum got in the car and then I turned around and took them right back to school and checked them in. They gave Hyrum a hug and then happily ran off to join their friends. We'll all got our priorities!
Then off to Brighton to get Wes, and then we were on our way at 11:20. We met up with Corey, W&Jj and Abi and Lily at Golden Corral on University Avenue for Hyrum's last meal with us.
It was a nice meal, although all the kids said they prefer Chuck A Rama. We wasted a bit of food, sorry world, and then our nice waitress took a "last" picture for us - 
We weren't sure how it would go at the MTC and if we'd be able to hug him again, so we all got our hugs in as we left the restaurant and before we got into the cars.
Sweet Peter's little voice "Bye Hy-wah!"
Out to the car. 
Sophi rode with Abi and Lily in Corey's parents car, Joseph drove his motorcycle, and I had Hyrum and Corey, Wes and little boys in my car. We tried to cherish the last moments with him as best we could. We listened to a song by Cain called "The Commission" as we drove from the restaurant to the MTC, and I really liked it. It first touched me yesterday when Hyrum and I listened to it as drove back from Corey's parent's house after going to the temple. The parts where it is Christ leaving his disciples made me think of Hyrum leaving us "It's my time to go... goodbye is not the end". The Saviors charge to his disciples to preach the gospel reminded me of why Hyrum is leaving and the important message he will be sharing ~ "Go tell the world about me, I conquered death and I hold the keys..." The song also captures a little bit of our hopes for Hyrum and each of our children - "There is much to do... You have a purpose..." It's a very beautiful song, go give it a listen!

See My hands, look at My feet
It’s okay if
It’s hard to believe
I have faith you will
Do greater things
It’s My time to go
But before I leave

Go tell the world about Me
I was dead, but now I live
I’ve gotta go now
For a little while
But goodbye is not the end

Don’t forget the things
That I taught you
I conquered death
And I hold the keys
Where I go
You will go too someday
There’s much to do
Here before you leave

Go tell the world about Me
I was dead, but now I live
I’ve gotta go now
For a little while
But goodbye is not the

End of the journey
The end of the road
My Spirit is with you
Wherever you go
You have a purpose
And I have a plan
I’ll make you this promise
I’ll come back again
But until then

Go tell the world about Me
I was dead, but now I live
I’ve gotta go now
For a little while
But goodbye is not the end

Go tell them about Me
I've got to go
For a little while
But goodbye is not the end

We were all able to get out to say goodbye. A nice young MTC person was there and offered to take our picture ~
Then a few more "last" hugs - 
Peter's like "We just did this, right? We're doing it again? ok"
Lily checking out the pic of the group on her phone, Daniel's moving on, Sophi giving a last hug
and then the nice MTC guy helped Hyrum in with his luggage. 
I yelled out the window "BYE HYRUM!" 
We sure love him, and now he's off serving the Lord. We went back home - kids came home with me, except for Lily went with Corey and they left for her clarinet lesson from Corey's parents house. I went and got Natalie from school and took her to dance. After dance I took her to the Sandy Service Garden/Vegetable Project where she met up with some of her friends for an "activity days" outing. 
Cute little kids in the garden of Eden. I remember when Hyrum was in second grade! 
We will try to enjoy the moments we still have with the kids still at home with us, before we know it they'll be off fulfilling their missions too. Some lyrics from Pressure Machine have also been feeling especially poignant recently:
Don't you feel the time slipping away?
It ain't funny at all
It's gonna break your heart one day
~
And every year goes by faster than the one before

It's a pretty song. Life is good. I will aim to try more each day to treasure each of my children and my time with them. Bye Hyrum! We love you and are so proud of you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...