Friday, April 1, 2022

Next Month!

Welcome April!! I'm happy that today is April 1st, not because it's April Fools, I am just excited that now I get to say that I am due "next month!" That is a happy thing to say because, once again, it means that we're getting closer. I'm trying to be calm and patient, not that I have a choice. But if I can keep my brain calm I am hoping it will help it not seem like time is going slow. And I'm really not due until June 5th, but I plan to be induced the end of May, so yeah, May it is. I hope that Monday May 30th being a holiday (Memorial Day) doesn't mese things up. I actually would be ok if I'm induced May 31st, since that is my mom's birthday and that would be fun for them to share a birthday. But I better not have to wait until June. We already have too many June birthdays, so as long as it's May I'm good with it. 

There has been some kind of stomach bug going around. Corey's dad and our sister in law both have been sick, they think from food poisoning after our birthday dinner on Tuesday, but I think it's just something that's been going around, cause yesterday Daniel threw up and Sophi did this morning. Daniel was not feeling well, I had him sit on the couch and stay put. He was about to get up and run for something, but I was like "No, stay there!" and told him it was ok to throw up in the blanket, I just didn't want to risk getting it on the carpet. So he threw up in the blanket, which was easy enough to clean up, and then I got him a clean blanket and bowl and he sat there and rested more.

Sophi won an award from me this morning for throwing up in a bin. She woke up at 5, didn't feel great, found an empty bin that was laying around, and didn't get anything on the carpet! HERO! She didn't feel well, but way to go, you made your mother proud. 
So I'm hoping this stomach flu doesn't work it's way through the whole family, especially since we are leaving for a vacation in Florida on Sunday, so fingers crossed, we'll see what happens. I took Daniel and Peter to the park today, and friendly Daniel went and made friends with the kids at a birthday party and then brought back Pringles and toys to share with Peter. Slightly embarrassing, but oh well.  
Peter took a late nap tonight on the floor, wedged in the crack between the side room couch and ottoman. 

Corey and I went to the Draper temple tonight for an 8:00pm appointment for date night. I had eaten enough dinner that we didn't go out to eat too, but we did stop to get him a sandwich at Jersey Mikes on our way. It was nice to be in the temple together and it was nice to visit during the car ride. Corey shared with me that his last text to Father David was several weeks ago, but he got a reply last night. (A few other posts with Corey's side of the conversation shared here Jan 14 and Jan 26) Corey read me his response that he sent this morning -

Thanks Father David, it's always great to hear from you!

I hope you know that our primary goal of befriending you (as well as Diego and Iveth) has been to help you all feel loved and welcomed in Utah. Having lived in new places many times – I appreciate the feeling of vulnerability one feels moving to a new place.

It also seemed appropriate to help you get acquainted with the dominant religion/culture/history - and of course you'd expect believers to share aspects of their faith at times. I always assumed that if you were interested in truly learning about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, that you'd make it known. The main conversion tool we use is the Book of Mormon, and I have deliberately held back giving you one for months out of fear you might think my side of our friendship was less than genuine. My priority was love, understanding, and friendship – and I trust I’ll always enjoy spending time with you.

But as the topic came up recently, of course I’d encourage you to read The Book of Mormon. I know you will get closer to Christ as you read it. You had seemed concerned about the scriptural passage where Jesus instructed the people to study Isaiah – but I promise, that does not contradict the Bible as was suggested. I hope you’ll lay aside any prejudice and give the book a chance. I know that God can communicate to you in ways you know are from Him, that he will let you know the Book of Mormon is a true testimony of Jesus Christ. Most of the issues we’ve discussed are not central to doctrines of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ (creation from pre-existing matter, for example), but the Book of Mormon is. Despite our conversations, I don’t feel we’ve really discussed the most important tenets of my faith!

You are welcome to our home any time for dinner or a visit (about religion or anything else) – and now that spring is here, you’re also invited to come mountain biking if you’re up for it! We’re planning on going biking at Eagle Mountain soon which is not too far away from you.

I’d also recommend that you read this article in US Catholic magazine:

https://uscatholic.org/articles/201908/learning-about-other-faiths-make-room-for-holy-envy-says-this-episcopal-priest/

The author tells a story about an event in 1985 when some Swedes protested against the construction of an LDS temple in Sweden. The bishop of the Church of Sweden, Krister Stendahl defended the construction of the temple and offered three rules for religious understanding: Number one, if you want to learn about another religion, ask its adherents and not its enemies. Number two, don’t compare your best to their worst. Number three, leave room for holy envy. The author loves the ides of “holy envy” – suggesting there are things to learn and appreciate in every faith.

As I’ve learned more about Catholicism from you, I’ve had some “holy envy” and think I’m better for it. For example, I love the level of devotion for the eucharist, and the many holidays meant to remember Christ. The frequency of prayers and mass attendance is also motivating. Perhaps most inspiring is the devotion to the church despite many of the criticisms the world throws at it – I love the idea of believers clinging to the good of what they know despite how they may be mischaracterized.

When I was in high-school I took a class on European history – and due to the huge influence of Christianity and Catholicism, the Catholic church came up frequently, but often in unflattering ways. I don’t know if the teacher had any religious faith, but I remember often thinking how uncomfortable I would have felt if I were catholic and had to endure history lectures with peers that painted my faith in such an unflattering light. I’d much rather learn about Catholicism from a believing catholic – which is partly why I have enjoyed our conversations so much!

You have sent me lots of false information about my faith, and I’ve taken it all seriously and spent hours understanding and researching the accusations – we never went over my spreadsheets line-by-line but I can prove that much or most of information you sent was not true, accurate, or even fair. We never did discuss the (very slight) connection with Freemasonry and there are other things I’ll simply not respond to here. But, I’m inclined to (again) defend the prophet Joseph Smith. He was a righteous man – yes, he was a polygamist, but he was NOT an adulterer. To put it bluntly, there is no evidence he ever had sex with another man’s wife. You had admitted to me that there have been wicked catholic popes in the past who were adulterers, and yet you persist in recycling baseless accusations against a good man you know almost nothing about.

How would you feel if I attacked your faith and attempted to educate you on the inquisition, the sex abuse scandals, the selling of indulgences or other unflattering stories about an institution you hold sacred? Certainly, you know the criticisms of Catholicism, and I would never want to appear anti-Catholic by preaching against a religion I’m unfamiliar with. But that is what you have done – without knowing much about my religion, you have shared false claims about what it is and what it teaches. That said, I believe it was done with the good intentions and not malice – but it is still bearing a “false witness”. Tearing down the sacred beliefs others have of Jesus Christ is not a way to win converts. Of course, there are doctrinal difference with mainstream Christianity, which I’m always happy to acknowledge and discuss.

I looked up the St Xenia Church mentioned in Payson – and read about Fr. Justin Havens. Now I’ve got a lot of questions about your mentioning it! Fr. Havens is married with 10 children, so I guess the Eastern Orthodox church doesn’t require celibacy? Or he was married already before converting? My biggest question is whether you would have my family join the Catholic church or the Eastern Orthodox church. I’m unlikely to cold-call call Fr. Havens, but happy to visit sometime or meet him with an invitation.

But please consider the apparent paradox of a Catholic Priest (who believes his own church is misguided by an invalid pope) inviting me to join the Roman Catholic Church and/or the Eastern Orthodox Church. I don’t know which path you would have me follow. The St. Xenia’s website says “…most of our parish is made up of American converts from Protestantism, Catholicism, Mormonism, etc.,…” so I guess they have Catholic converts? What is your feeling of the Eastern Orthodox Church? Is it the true church? Truer than Catholicism in your view? Or maybe at least a stepping stone?

So that's still a fun conversation that's going on. I'm sure Father D will be busy this month with Easter Services, and we are busy with our family, General Conference tomorrow, a vacation, and stuff too, but it's been a fun exchange of beliefs. I think Corey does a really great job explaining and defending our faith. I'm glad he's mine and that I am his. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...