Monday, February 20, 2012

Pico De Gallo


I learned how to make this delicious little condiment during our time in Costa Rica. Our housekeeper/maid Shirley came and cleaned the house we rented several times a week and also cooked for us from time to time. Often when we'd eat the delicious food, we'd ask " Wow! How do you make this?!" or "What is in this?!" to which she'd reply "Limon y sal." Lime and salt. Oh. Well, wow! It's good! Same thing once in Brazil at a BBQ (aren't we such the travelers) the meat was amazing and we were asking "Wow! What did you put on this meat?!?!" The answer: salt. Well, hey, I can do that! And we haven't had it for a while, but I do cook up a pretty savory Brazilian steak, want to come over for a bbq?


Ok, so back to Pico de Gallo - I watched her make it a few times, no real recipe to follow, just chop up the stuff, squeeze in the lime, sprinkle on the salt. Here's how I usually make it:

4 tomatoes
2 limes
1 onion
1 bundle of cilantro
salt

I doubled this recipe as you can tell from the picture, minus I didn't have enough cilantro on hand, which I'm sure Ethan will be happy about because he "hates that stuff" (...not sure if he's really my child)


So chop it up, mix it all up, sprinkle on salt to taste, and enjoy it on your frijoles or deviled eggs, which is what is on our dinner menu tonight :)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...