Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Mission: Lego Organization

Today I made a "Lego Instructions Binder".  Actually 3 of them, one for Star Wars Legos, one for Harry Potter Legos, and one for all the rest.  Sometime later I might divide that one into "Creator Legos" and Misc.


(although, maybe sometime I'll just abandon this whole concept, cause look at this cool site, lego.brickinstructions.com ~ They've got a ton of the instructions online, very cool)

Supplies: 3 Ring Binder and Sheet Protectors
Put each book of instructions in a sheet protector, then put them all in a binder.

I should have done this years ago, then there would be a few less books of lego instructions in the landfill.  Oh well.  It was super simple and I'm hoping it helps the kids be able to find the instructions and thus make what they want to make when they want to make it.  And hopefully it will also keep the instructions from being destroyed by them and then thrown away by me. 

This was step 2 in my Lego Room quest.

Step 1 - Clean
Step 2 - Organize
Step 3 - Decorate


Step 1 - Clean - all we really needed to was vacuum the floor, but that simple chore involved picking up the legos which were all over the floor, (...it's taken us a few days...).  We've kept the legos in a little toy chest before, but the kids would always dump the whole thing out onto the floor to find the pieces they needed.  This time around we've got some long bins that are already working better cause the kids can shove and push the legos around as they search yet still keep them contained in the bin.

Step 2 - Organize - the kids talk about sorting out all the legos by color, brick, and element.  I wished them well with that.  Would be cool if they made it happen, but all that work could be destroyed so quickly by one of the toddlers, might not be worth it.  I'll be happy if they just keep them in the bins.


Step 3 - Decorate - I've got some ideas to put photos of the kids with some of their creations up on the wall.  :)  Should be fun. Below are some of the tributes for the Lego Hunger Games game that Joe and Eth are playing, fun kids.

1 comment:

  1. I like it! I think a lego room has just been added to my dream home... why is wasn't already there is now the question! I love the creative Lego set ups! I hope you post more as they make 'em! ('specially since I'm ditching FB) :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...