Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Lighting of the Y

Last night we went down to BYU to celebrate homecoming week by hiking up Y mountain for the "Lighting of the Y".  We left later than we'd wanted, so weren't on the road until 6:40, got to the trail head at 7:45, and saw the Y light up from the bottom of the trail.  Still, we were undeterred and wouldn't give up until we had touched the Y, so we set off.  Angela didn't want to have a heart attack, so after her best effort we let her call it good and enjoy the rest of the night from a bench at the 2nd switchback.

As we continued up, we enjoyed a surprise visit by Cosmo the Cougar.  We moved to the side of the trail so he could pass on his way down, and he reached out his hand to give the kids high fives, but Wesley wasn't fast enough and was left saying "Nooo!!!" as he reached for Cosmo driving away down the trail.  But like all true BYU Cougars, Cosmo is as good as they get, and hopped off of the moving atv and ran back up the trail to us where he gave Wes and hug.
Highlight of Wesley's little evening right there. 

At each switch back I kept saying "I think this is the last one..." until the kids stopped believing me.  But we did finally reach the Y.  Luckily there was still a person there who hadn't left who took a quick picture for us.  :)
So, Hyrum, are you glad you came?
 "Hmm.  Kinda, I guess..."  (not very convincing)
Well, it's a memory, and it's also my October tradition, I'm hiking Y mountain for the lighting of the Y every year that I can, if I'm not pregnant or don't have a newborn.
Wesley shined he flashlight on the Y and said "Look!  The Y looks like Antarctica!"

Glad I didn't tote Sophia along.  These four semi-independent children were "out of their element" enough that I almost did have four dependents hanging on to me the whole time.
It was great though.  We'll do it again next year, but we're gonna leave earlier so we're not hiking in the dark.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun experience! I'd love to take the boys there for that some year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...