Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Sacred Gifts

Ethan has his jazz band practice thing every Monday. Usually I go grocery shopping and run errands while I wait, but yesterday I took advantage of what will perhaps be my last opportunity to see the Sacred Gifts exhibit at the BYU Museum of Art. We went there as a family at the end of March, but I knew I wanted to go again, as the kids didn't want to spend as much time there as I did during that outing.

I was hoping to go as a date night, but we haven't made it there yet, and I knew my window of opportunity was closing. It was scheduled to close on the 10th of May, which is this weekend. So better get it in and then if we go for date night this Friday and I get to see it 3 times, even better. When I went to the website yesterday to reserve my ticket, it said that it has been extended two weeks, lucky for all of us! I still went down though. I rented the ipad and enjoyed hearing the extra features there (you can download it for free here and then (I'm pretty sure) you can see all the paintings and hear all the commentary from the comfort of your own couch, so if you can't make it down, atleast take the app tour!). I did have Natalie with me, and she was pretty bored with it all and let her cry echo through the museum. No food was allowed, but I kept sneaking into my purse to grab and pop cheerios into her little mouth to try and hush her up. Again, wasn't able to spend as much time as I wanted, but it was sufficient and I feel satisfied now, even if I don't make it down again. I was able to buy some of the print cards of the paintings and a large print of Agony in Gethsemane by Frans Schwartz...
Beautiful to see and to think of and remember what Jesus Christ has done for us. I was so touched by Heinrich Hoffman's faith as he was quoted So now I am good to live off the memory until I go to Sweden and Denmark someday and see the paintings in the castle and churches where they are from. Need to visit Riverside church in New York too. But here at BYU's exhibit... this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see all these paintings in one place. Never going to happen again! You aren't going to get a better chance to see these than now. Don't miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...