Monday, October 3, 2022

A Violin First

Today I did something, and it was my first time doing it, and I hope it will also be my last. It's a violin first. Today after violin lessons, I was inside chatting for a brief moment with the teacher Amy, and Sophi came back in to get the car keys cause I was taking too long, and then Peter came in because he had forgotten some of his legos that he took out and put in the train table drawer. Amy and I were both so impressed that this 3 year old remembered his toys! Little did I know that his remembering of his toys would be responsible for what happened next. So Peter ran back out to the car, I go out to the car, kids are all bucked in, and then I start the car to go. As we went forward, the car seemed to be stuck on something. I paused for a moment, told myself that it was just the metal plate thing that they have over their street gutter to make the pulling in from street to the driveway more smooth (they don't have a sidewalk) and so then I pushed the gas harder, and that was when I went over a big bump and hear a loud crunch. It was the crunching sound of wood. I hurried and backed up and I put it all together in my mind. I got out of the car, and sure enough, there it was... a violin case. I drove over a violin with the van. I looked at the girls. "Did you both not put your violin in the car??" Natalie looked at me, and said "I was holding Katharine and I gave my violin to Peter!" And here is what happened. The kids go out to the car, Natalie his holding Katharine and her violin. Katharine is feeling heavy and Natalie is getting tired, so she gives her violin to Peter. Peter, upon remembering his legos, sets it down, in front of the car. And there is remained. A black case, low to the ground and in the shadow of the van where I did not notice it. Another unfortunate thing is that today I had the car parked facing toward the driveway. Usually I'm facing away from it, so they put the violins there until I open the back of the van. Had I been facing the other way, like I usually do, I would have just driven off without it, but it probably would have been found by Amy's husband, who pulled up as we were inspecting the busted violin. But today that was the front of the van. It was just an unfortunate circumstance all around, the planets aligned in the wrong way, and I drove over a violin. I was very grateful that it was not a child. I can't even imagine the horrific trauma that would cause. I'm glad it wasn't a bunny or pet (I ran over a bunny rabbit in the spring. I swerved to miss it and I drove it right in half, it was sad.) Violins can be replaced. And it has been already - I got on the classifieds and bought another one tonight for $100. I think the one we broke was a 1/2, but it was about the same size as Sophi's violin, which was a 3/4, so I bought a 3/4, but now it's larger than Sophi's... so we're either going to give Sophi this "new" one, or I might look around some more and get a 1/2 sized violin if I find a good deal. We'll see how hard it is for them to play these two. So another thing I'm grateful for was that I had gotten it on the classifieds. If I had broken a violin I paid full price for, well that would have just been even more unfortunate. So I'm glad it was just a used one. But it was still pretty, and worked well, but now it's dead.

The case is broken too. The bow escaped unharmed, the shoulder rest looks ok, the chin rest cracked but I might be able to super glue that back together, and we salvaged the pegs and strings, which were fairly new. Goodbye violin! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to kill you. And so far tonight, each time Natalie's retold the story, she puts the blame squarely on me... "and then Mom ran over my violin!" Nice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...