Wednesday, October 19, 2022

I💗Fall 🍂 & Butterfly Shipment

I rode up the canyon today by myself, but with Corey's encouragement over text. I kept letting him know that I hadn't gotten off my bike to walk at all, and I made it all the way up to Lisa Falls without getting off! Although I did stop a few times to readjust my wheel or turn back my pedal, or pick up some of the fall leaves. IT IS SO GORGEOUS right now. 

I kept having to stop in awe of my surroundings. 

My favorite moment was when I was on my way back down, listening to "The Way It's Always Been" - I was going to skip the techy section, and I did, but then changed my mind, turned around and at "big wheel and the grind" I was jogging my bike back up, moving my feet to the beat at 2:25, and I was back on my bike riding at 2:40 after the build up, and then it got to my favorite part, which also happened to be right when the sun peeked up over the mountain and through the trees at me, and with the green and yellow colors, the river, the sky... it made my heart so full, I stopped and looked up and teared up with emotion.
Not sure why I teared up, but I think it was a combination of awe of God's creations and thankfulness for His kindness to me. I trust that he has the power to save me, I am grateful to be waiting for The Son to come again. I've had my moments at the waters edge waiting for the fog to clear, and I'm grateful for clear skies in my life right now. You can't have a problem free life, but you can have problem free days, as was well said in the talk I listened to on the way up (BYU speeches Finding Strength in the Lord) and fall colors and time in the mountains makes me feel problem free. So it was a great and beautiful morning. A great way to start the day! Right after I got home, I was feeding K or taking care of butterflies. I had 5 black chrysalides this morning and two of them eclosed while I was on my ride, one right after I got back. 
One of them came out an hour or so after I was home, and when I came down it was kinda stuck, so I very carefully tried to help it, and it got out, but then it was crawling all over trying to get itself upright. Exactly what happened with Maria, and her wings got messed up (pic 5) So this guy was freaking out but I had to keep it in upside down time-out, and mostly succeeded - his wings did dry straight and he looks perfect, but he seems anxious I hope he doesn't die early from having a traumatic experience! 

Like I've said before, it's going to be freezing temperatures on Sunday, and I don't want these butterflies to freeze, so I arranged for them to hitch a ride south with a neighbor Jess. I finished making their cage today, and them spent time this afternoon feeding them and placing them one by one into the tulle container. 
I couldn't tell which ones had emerged yesterday from the ones that emerged today, but I just moved them one by one, and tried to feed each one some honey water - the ones that eagerly ate are the ones that were a day older. It was fun, they all are so pretty. I still had the one male from this morning in time out...
He fell a few times. He was so busy moving around trying to escape that I'm worried for him - that he's used up too much of his energy, but since his wings are good, he's going with the rest of him and we'll hope for the best. Jess said they were leaving at 4:30, so I took them over around 4. First I went by Terry's to get her last butterfly, a lovely male she named Omega. 
And then on the right there I had one that still hadn't emerged, so I glued his stick with his chrysalis onto a small metal L wrench and tied him to the inside of a grape container, so that he'd be ok if he emerged. And then took them over! Good bye butterflies! and good luck!
We're hoping they make the trip well and that it isn't/wasn't too much of a hassle. I  know her family is busy with a biking thing, so I texted her that there was no pressure, but I'd love an update on how it went and any pictures she took while after they get back! Her kids came over to see our butterflies emerge and her son was especially interested in the monarchs and caterpillars (4th pic) so I know that they are in good and caring hands. 
And with that officially handed over, we are now done! Phew! Now I'm just be waiting for word on these 11+1, and then I'll do my official count! It's been a very successful monarch year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...