Sunday, November 6, 2022

Lego Challenge

Corey is super creative. Today he took the kids into the basement to play legos and he made up "The Lego Challenge" game. This is how you play - 

  • Grab 10 random handfuls of legos with random pieces
  • Divide them equally into a bin for each player
  • Pick a theme
  • Each Person then has 10 minutes to make something with their pieces.

The theme of the first challenge was Star Wars. Lily and Corey were in the competition. Then Sophi and Natalie went around the house asking for votes on their finished work:

These two Lego creations were both very impressive. I got a Mos Eisley vibe from one, and a spaceship crash on Endor from the other (Lily said she was actually trying to go for a Dagobah look). Both were very good and worthy of the prize. Lily's comment after the first game: "It's hard to make people without arms!" Corey agreed: "Yeah! I've never seen so many missing legs and hands... Back in MY day (mid-80s) if you took off an arm, you promptly replaced it!" 

Speaking of the 80s... we got on a tangent after scriptures. First we watched a few very good Mormon Messages videos: the ones about the cliff, the silver dollars in shoes, the marshmallow experiment (shout out to our nephews, Conner and Sam, who were two of the cute little children in that video!), then the Elder Holland's broken car one. All of those were very good and we love the media that the Church makes today! Then Corey brought up this one, The Mailbox, to tell the kids about videos that were around when we were kids. They didn't get very far before the kids were bored, so they abandoned that one, but then I came down and told them all about it, laughing about it, cause man! It was a bit heavy handed! All she wanted was a letter from her family! And they finally send her one telling her that they're moving her into an assisted living home, but she was so excited to finally get a letter that she has a heart attack and dies. The music was super heavy handed too. But I guess it was a different time where people weren't constantly connected by phone and email and text and everything. Will letters be important to us in the future? Wes was sold and promised me "I will make sure my children write you letters!!" and I joked that I'm going to show all of my grandchildren that video, haha. As I was telling the kids all the spoilers of that mailbox story, Corey started another video behind me, and once I heard the tune, I just started laughing! Corey told the kids how this was high technology back in the day - there would be an audio recording with a little *beep to let you know when it was time to flip the film scroll to change to the next picture. At a few points in the video, we were all saying "*beep.... *beep!" and laughing. It was just so many photos though, before anyone even started talking... we had seen the child be born, grow up, go down metal slides, get baptized, and Wes said "I've seen his whole life but I don't even know his name!" and the song finally started. Quick sum up - she's the best mom, unlike all "those other moms" who went to fashion shows! (In the 80s??) she plays football! All the other kids are jealous, he's so lucky, he loves his mom, but he comes home one day from school, there's an ambulance in the driveway, his dad is crying, mom is dying, then she dies, and then the ambulance leaves, poor father is a widower, but there was a rainbow over the house, so it's ok! They draw you in and then stick it to ya! I'm glad that the movie making has been upgraded. Now days they tell stories, but I think most of them are true. There are enough true stories, you don't need to make up sappy dramatic stories to get people to get the point of the importance of eternal marriage. 

So we watched movies, it was funny, we tell them to go to bed. But that is when the Second bedtime gathering happens - in our bedroom. Corey and I were brushing teeth and I was showing Abi a clip from The Mailbox, then Wes came to watch it too, and then I had 5 kids watching it and 3 little boys wrestling. 

Always a party around here. The kids' reactions: "This is terrible! Who would write a story like this!?!?" Hey, that's the 80s! We might watch some He-Man tomorrow!

And of course today I took lots of pictures of Katharine. Wes was playing the ukulele for her and she was bouncing herself to the beat and squealing to sing along, it was so cute! 
I got a few videos too that I'll upload tomorrow. She is adorable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...