Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Donation

I did a super great job clearing out stuff today. Yesterday I took a load of things to the DI that I had collected over the past month. And then TODAY I was in the basement with Peter and Katharine - they played legos while I gathered stuff and listened to my coaching call (Laura Dixon NTL) and I should have counted but I think I boxed up 40+ pairs of boy and girl shoes to donate, plus a bag of clothes, a box of random items, and a box of picture frames. After the kids were home I left to donate it, and then I went to register Daniel for soccer. Games start this Saturday. 

Nicole and I had a good talk yesterday. She's talked before about having a clothes library, a book library, a shoe library, a toy library, etc for her kids and grandkids as they grow up. And I think that sounds fun -  if (and it's a big IF...) "IF" I could keep it organized and had enough space to have a library for everything. But I don't think I'm going to have that, unless I buy a huge barn. I shared with her about the book I've been reading "The Minimalist Home" and I think, for me, that trying to store and save stuff for all these kids in the future is kinda draining on me. Like, I had a black Costco bin of nice shoes that I've been holding onto for a few years... it had some Vans that were brand stinkin' new, and I think they are nice, but Wesley didn't like the style, cause white Reebok was the style when he was a senior, so I've got a few pair of brand new Vans that I've been holding on to "cause they're new" and what - I'm going to hold on to them for 10 years until Owen is 18 or until Peter and Daniel are big enough to fit in them?!?!? NO. I asked Nicole if I should keep them, she said yes, but then I protested strongly. That let me know that I actually did have an opinion on this! So even though I've been holding on to them, I don't need to hold on to them anymore by default. And off they went. 

I'm going to load up on boxes every time I got to Costco, so that I can fill them up with stuff to donate. I still have some shoes for the boys that will fit them in the next year or so, and some summer sandals, and for the girls too - but the girls are getting picky. I'm fine to just take them to the DI or to Kid to Kid and let them find something they like rather than hold onto much here. The DI and Kid to Kid will be my shoe and toy library. Cause, if I had any friend that needed some shoes, I'd happily give the shoes to them without a worry. So why don't I just do that anyway?! I feel happy when I think of whoever is in need that is going to find those on the shelf at the DI and feel super excited about "A brand new pair of Vans!! Wow!" They will be grateful to me, like I am grateful to all the people who have donated the awesome things that I have found! So yay, I'm paying it forward and will hope and pray that God will provide for us as we try to give freely to others. 

So, while I think that having stuff on hand could be good, I also think that the upcoming kids are going to have their own tastes and styles that they're looking for, and they are not going to want old hand me downs. And if they DO want hand me downs, they could just go to the DI where they already have it all organized and you can pick and choose and get something that you sort of want. So good for me, I donated more stuff today - three boxes of shoes, and I took stuff yesterday too, and my goal is to get a bag of stuff ready every day this next week as I start to minimize. It feels good, and I feel lighter already. As I shed this stuff, I'll hopefully find more space and time to do things that I really want to do! To read, blog, bike, be with my kids, maybe even draw or paint! It will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...