Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sophi Loves Green Slime

So yesterday I got all the goods for myself to eat/drink more veggies this week, and I made Dr. Oz's green drink.  I got Joe to try it - he barely stuck his tongue in and then drank water like I'd fed him some wasabi, pathetic.  That was it for the older kids.  Younger kids... well Lily wasn't around, she would have tried it.  But Sophia -
She gives it two enthusiastic chubby cheeks up.
She was lappin' it up!
I added a few drops of stevia, and I didn't just do the lime and lemon juice, I peeled it and threw the whole thing in, seeds and all.  Mmm!  Glad I have a power blender (my kids love the Will it Blend? videos)

Here is the recipe for it that he has on his website:
Make the breakfast drink that Dr. Oz swears by! This "green drink" is high in fiber, low-calorie and rich in vitamins:
Dr. Oz's Green Drink
2 cups spinach
2 cups cucumber
1 head of celery
1/2 inch or teaspoon ginger root
1 bunch parsley
2 apples
Juice of 1 lime
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Combine all ingredients in a blender. This makes approximately 28-30 ounces, or 3-4 servings.

but - the "head" of celery confused me - he didn't say a stalk of celery, but that would be just way to much to put the whole head in, right?  This was a helpful facebook comment by Maureen Burns, she said this was the recipe that Dr. Oz originally gave to Oprah:

Dr. Oz Green Drink Recipe.
2 apples, cored.
2 big handfuls of spinach.
1/2 cup of chopped parsley.
1 celery stick, chopped.
1 thumbnail length of ginger root, peeled.
1 lemon - juice only (use peel slice for zest).
1 medium cucumber.
Place ingredients in a blender, add 4 oz. spring water or a handful of ice cubes, then puree quickly for one minute. Makes two glasses of Dr. Oz’s green drink.

The green drink has a strong taste and if you are used to drinking soda or sweet tea, the taste will take some getting used to. Dr. Oz suggests adding other items at first to sweeten the green drink to your taste.

Green drink – Optional ingredients:
2nd cucumber
raw carrot
unsweetened fruit juice.
banana

I'm going to try to keep her eating healthy her whole life, we'll just see if we can avoid that whole fruit-loops route that throws off all their good baby habits.  Go Sophi!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...