Friday, September 13, 2013

CD Battle

So, we all survived the school week - big sigh, we can all relax for a few days now! The kids are all home and I hear Joseph and Hyrum fighting over who gets to play what music on the stereo - and when I heard the two cds that were in the competition I just laughed thinking these are not my children. Well, they are, but they are not typical young men. Hyrum want's Adele "Rumor Has It" and Joseph wants Suzy Lind who is a scat singer, we have a cd with her playing with the Crescent Band. I don't know, maybe Adele is normal music for 5th grade boys?
...although Hyrum thought her name was Lady Gaga. Joe made fun of him for that error, now Hyrum just calls it "21". It's pretty fun to see Hyrum lip sync to it. But Joseph, I can pretty much guarantee that no other 13 year old boy in the world is fighting to listen to Suzy Lind.
I remember being so impressed with Corey when we were in high school. He'd give me a ride in his car, and instead of hearing the typical 80's and 90's rock music playing on his radio, he was on some classical music jazz station. Made me think he was a little peculiar. But I was impressed that he didn't seem to suffer from the "my parents hate my music" thing that other kids and teenagers like me or my siblings suffered from. Yes, Corey has helped these boys and they are on their way to impressing some young girls and their parents in the future.

Napoleon Bonaparte once said, "Give me control over him who shapes the music of a nation, and I care not who makes the laws." Music does have powerful influence. I'm really grateful for Corey getting these kids into jazz music, it's going to help them stay on a good path as they grow. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...