Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Dinner

Dinner feels like it's become a harder production around here now that school has started. Not only are these kids getting bigger and eating more, but with my helpers gone all day, I can't get anything done, so I nurse this little face while I watch tv programs that inspire me to do things I can't do, like bake a birthday cake like Martha Stewart does on her pbs show. Abi wanted that 4 layer yellow cake for her birthday yesterday, sorry sweetie. My heart is there, but I just don't have the capacity right now.
I've also been watching the Food Nanny and getting inspired to put dinner on the table. I have her book (signed even! I met her in person at a church activity) and tried her Nanny plan, the only gliltch for me was some nights are busy or end up crazy and I didn't know that would happen when I planned out my menu 2 weeks earlier, so how do I modify the daily planned meal so it's flexible for me when chaos comes? I made this little solution:
I plan out 2 weeks worth of meals, write them on cards, then at the beginning of each day when I know what that day's schedule looks like, I choose what to make. 
It's worked pretty good for the 3 days I've done it. :) I'm gonna decorate the little oval on the board there to say "What's for Dinner" or something to that effect. The salmon and potatoes and salad was our dinner last night when the missionaries came over for dinner, which turned a little crazy cause the power went out around 2:15, around 3:30 I was starting to panic ~ worried it wouldn't come back on in time to cook the food by 5:00. But it came back on at 4 so with the kids help we had it all ready to go, then the missionaries didn't show - I called at 5:45 to see where they were or what happened and turns out no one told them they had an dinner appointment. But they were still able to come over for a little bit... So kinda crazy afternoon, but they were super cute, from Arizona and Australia. 
(I think we're gonna need a bigger table soon...)

4 comments:

  1. I am not an expert but I do feel that making meals is one thing I do well when it comes to homemaking. There are many areas that I feel I'm a failure at so I try to accentuate the positive. Just a couple tips that may or may not work. I make breakfast for the kids most mornings and so if I'm making muffins or waffles or breakfast burritos or sausage biscuits I'll triple/quadruple the recipe and stock my freezer. It doesn't take that much extra time to make more. I try to have a good supply of breakfast items in the freezer so the kids can help themselves. I do the same thing for dinner. When I'm making something we really like such as sloppy joes or enchiladas, I'll at least double it and freeze it so there's an easy meal on those busy nights or when I just don't feel like cooking. I do most of my dinner prep right after lunch when the kids are taking naps. I chop the vegetables, fruit, assemble the casserole, make the sauce, make the rolls and put in the fridge to bake at dinner time, whatever can me done. So when 4:30 rolls around and I'm trying to help the kids with homework and get to various activities I don't really have to worry about dinner much except sticking it in the oven. I also shop once each week, usually on Sat. We eat a lot of produce and it doesn't usually last past a week for me. I plan 7 breakfasts, lunches and dinners and desserts but don't assign a day but make sure I have everything for those 7 meals and make what I'm in the mood for that day. Your kids are getting old enough that you could assign Joe and Mel a night to make dinner. We had a family in our ward who had 10 kids and when they turned 8 they were in charge of doing their own laundry and then when they hit 12 they took a night to cook for the family and actually had to go to the store and buy the stuff. Also start your own cookbook of easy, simple meals your family loves so meal planning is easier. For instance we love tacos and it is so easy and fast so we have tacos almost every 10 days. I had a really hard time with it at first because I feel like I need to make something new and exotic but Neil has assured me it's great and everyone's happy and it makes my job easier. We also have pizza every Friday night. Also it's ok to have a YOYO (your on your own)dinner once in awhile. My kids LOVE it. We usually do it on Sunday nights because having church til 4 makes having dinner ready hard because for some reason we are all starving and all want to eat at 4:15. It's a great way to get the leftovers eaten. We just pull everything out of the fridge that needs to be eaten and have at it. If nothing appeals to them COnner will often make pancakes and as long as he cleans up the mess I'm ok with it. Find some good crockpot meals. They are your best friend on busy days. I have a friend who has a monthly menu and uses the same recipes every month. Anyway didn't mean to write a novel. You can do it and your family will praise your name even more. Unless they are not as into food as my kids are:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy - you are awesome. Thanks for the amazing comment, I especially love the YOYO idea. I'm going to put your advice to work! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another idea which I do all the time is mass mini pre-baked frozen pizza crusts. It's loads of fun to put the fixings out and let the kids make their won mini pizza for dinner. I usually do batches of 12, but you can easily double the recipe! This works great with the YOYO idea as well.
    4 cups flour
    2 cups warm water
    pinch of salt
    1 T yeast.
    Mix together with bare hand in a large bowl. Knead in the bowl for approx. 2 minutes. Cover and set aside until doubled in size (about 1-2 hours). Turn out onto a well floured surface, cut into 12 equal parts, roll each part out to make a crust, place on greased (cooking spray) baking pans. Bake 8-10 minutes in a 350* oven, cool, freeze for later use.
    Easy peasy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also...
    I love the fact that Amy talks about kids learning to do their own laundry and cook meals. This is a lost skill I feel is SO incredible important for every child to learn!!!
    What a wonderful way to tell your spouse (male or female) you love them by doing these types of tasks for each other! Money doesn't buy happiness, actions are a better currency.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...