Friday, March 9, 2012

Disney On Ice

Last month at 10:30 a.m. the phone rang - it was my sister Beka

"...so Matt's sisters told me that if you go downtown to the Delta Center between 11:00 and 12:00 and donate a book you can get a free ticket to Disney on ice..." Oh, okay... I paced the floor for a few minutes thinking ... um, we're all still in pjs, it's cold, I'd have to drive down there, can we make it in time? What if there's a huge line... of course the kids were all playing quietly and I had anticipated enjoying some time to read or work... oh, let's just do it.... Hurry girls! Get on your shoes! Get a coat!

I took 10 books hoping to get a ticket for everyone in our family, but after braving the cold and standing in line for 30 minutes, it was our turn at the donation table and we learned that you only can get tickets for the number of people with you, which was Me, Abi, Lily, Sophia. 4 tickets.

I had several weeks to ponder about who would go. I asked Corey who he thought should go. He said Lily for sure, Abi wanted to, and Wes. Sorry big kids (they didn't mind - and they all got a date night with Corey last week when they went to the BYU Jazz band concert).

For the past several weeks on any given day at any given moment, Abi would come up to me again and say as if she had just asked me nicely 20 times and I was purposely ignoring her: "When are we GOING to the BUZZ LIGHTYEAR SHOW?!?!?!"

"Not today, but soon!" "Soon" to me = a few weeks = "never" to Abi

Well the day finally came! Today was the big day! The show was at 4:00 so they headed out at 3:30, Lily was excited and had her Jessie and Woody dolls in tow.


I thought that picture above was just precious. Little kids are soo cute. Lily had a great time :) Corey did this for his little girl, don't you just love fathers?!?! I love it.

Around 7:00 when they got home Corey had me rolling with laughter as he reported to me on how his evening transpired:

To finish of their date night they went to Wendy's. He came in the house with some Chicken Nuggets (Chicken Nugget is Lily's nick name, it's funny) and Mini Frosty shakes and Ethan asks "Can I have some?" to which Corey replied "Did you go sit through all that?" I start laughing

"You know, not everyone gets to make it to the Olympics..."

"I'd always wondered what shows like that were like. And now I know. There's an ice floor, a crane, and skaters. Lots of skaters. Oh, and there was a soundtrack. So when the person was speaking, they'd wave their arms more."


Corey continued to mull over his thoughts out loud and I was laughing so hard, I had to go get my book to write down what he said cause I thought it was so funny!

"I was trying to think what makes me more tired: shopping, talking about lists (he does that with me to help me out when I'm in a bad mood, it makes me sooo happy!), or shows like that...."

"You know, there's only so much you can do with ice skates, so if you want to stay something of significance, it's a double axle!"

"... Once I figured out how the skaters fit into the costumes, there wasn't a lot of cerebral activity. Yeah, once I figured that out, there wasn't a lot to concentrate on."

"So basically, they took the funniest parts of the movie, ...and ruined them."

"and a lot of overpriced merchandise" (Small Buzz Lightyear figurine - $20 bucks)

So, what is the take away?

"No, it's good. It's good that there's a career path for those that put in their time at the rink. I'm glad there's a pay off at some level."

So that was the big night at Disney on Ice! Hooray for Fathers and Family and Funny Memories!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...