Friday, March 2, 2012

Secret Ingredient

Time for breakfast, here's what's on the menu:
Waffles, Bacon, Bananas


Cue Kid history episode 6!
~ ~ ~
Once upon a time, when the Wride kids were growing up, their Mom was really into healthy food. One morning she made them waffles.

la la la la la la la


A pinch of salt, lots of love, and lots and lots of prunes!


(I doubled the recipe and substituted 15 prunes for the sugar - blended them with the eggs and milk in my wonderful Ktec - if I can deceive their eyes, the prunes just might go undetected! If you don't have a powerhouse blender, I'd recommend soaking the prunes overnight in milk or water to help them blend better)


"Here's your perfectly normal waffles kids!"


These pancakes are super thick mom. (I was worried that was going to give me away... note to self, add a bit more milk next time)

You can't even taste it!

"IloveyoumommyIloveyoumommyIloveyoumommy!"

It will help you grow strong!

Don't be knuckle heads!

(I think it worked! Joe and Hyrum are even going for second helpings, and not one word of complaint so far!)

Success! And also, since there was actually a nutritious and fiber filled ingredient in the waffles, the kids actually got full and not only were they not able to eat all the waffles served, but there was the added bonus that they didn't come back in 30 minutes to ask me for more food!

Wesley showing me his "I'm soooo full!" face

We love Kid History, and I especially love episode 6. Sometime I make the kids a chocolate spinach smoothie for breakfast so they can say "It's green! Why is it green?!" But they actually drink it happily and don't think it's nasty. We're hopefully training taste buds around here a little, yay! Episode 6 has made it possible for me to make healthy food and the kids get to laugh at the same time cause they get to quote the Episode. Thank you to the Roberts boys! We love you!

ps - blended prunes also work for the banana bread. (I name the recipes I use after the person who shared them with me.) Thanks for this recipe Kelly - it's super simple, makes it an easy staple at our house.

4 comments:

  1. Here's a recipe you might like. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/homemade-whole-grain-pancake-mix-recipe

    I make a hot breakfast every morning for the kids and this pops up usually once a week because it's so easy. It's a mix that you just add buttermilk and an egg to when ready to use. I blend the oats up to make more of a flour and it would be a pinch with your blender. The kids don't like the chunks. You do have to let it sit for 30 minutes before cooking to thicken up. I mix it up and then go exercise and then it's ready. It has a little bit of a nutty flavor. My kids will eat anything if there's syrup on top. Kind of defeats the healthy base but at least they're getting fiber. We call green smoothies green slime at our house and so little boys think they are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Those look great, and with a 30 minute wait time I can get in my exercise or get the kids to do some chores, so sounds perfect! Going to make them tomorrow

      Delete
  2. That is exactly what I have been thinking. I finally got my little (and big man) to drink spinach shakes. I keep hearing "but why is it dreeen?" or "what else is about it". Because I refuse to tell him what is in it. Now onto waffles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "this is so dross!" Lol! Seriously, Kid History has made my life in the kitchen so much easier!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...