Thursday, December 22, 2011

Chocolate Spinach Protein Shake

I have one of these shakes almost every day - takes care of any chocolate cravings with the added bonus that it's got a major servings of greens for health and vitality!

Blend:

1 cup of water
1 handful of spinach
1 heaping Tablespoon of Cocoa Powder
1 scoop of protein powder
5-8 drops of vanilla Stevia
1/2 frozen banana
1 tray of ice cubes (half filled)

Then sprinkle with 1/2 c. cereal

Step One:
Get your blender - add 1 cup of water and a handful of spinach - start easy on the spinach if this is your first time, I've warped my tastebuds so much that I can add a ton and not notice it


Step Two:
Add Stevia, cocoa powder, and Protein Powder


Making sure there's enough cocoa powder will over power the spinach taste


Step Three:
Add frozen bananas and ice
I slice my bananas length wise and put them in sandwich bags to freeze, then break them in pieces when I put it in the blender



You'll want to put them in the pitcher in this order - start with the water and spinach to get the blender blades at the bottom of the pitcher going nicely, powders next so they are locked in the middle, topped with ice and bananas to keep the powders in.

Blend into a nice and yummy brown and green goop!


Great thing about it, most of my kids don't pester me asking if they can have some. My toddler loves it though, I usually share a cup with her

Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cereal - Honey Sunshine is the best for chocolate protein shakes - tastes like an ice cream cone!



Total Calories = about 310
1 handful of spinach - 20?
1 heaping Tablespoon of Cocoa Powder - 24
1 scoop of protein powder - 140 (Cytosport Whey)
1/2 frozen banana - 60
1/2 cup Kashi Honey Sunshine - 66

3 comments:

  1. I might get Jon to eat his veggies this way! He has a regular protein shake every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do the Free-Jinger people think? Don't mock it till you've tried it! http://freejinger.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6193 (Thanks Angri-la for giving it a chance! It is good!) ...And I guess I don't have it EVERY day, like I didn't have it today, but I usually do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and Carrie - start him off with small doses until he "can't even taste it!!!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh0NLQJfAYU

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...