We just got back from a short FHE hike to the ruins with the 8 kiddos at home.
The inspiration for this evenings activity was my morning ride to ruins. I didn't know it when I set off, but it rained up in the mountains last night and thus it smelled oh so absolutely amazing all up the trail from the 1st bridge on. From the trailhead to the sandy track it isn't as green and forest-y, so that just smelled like wet weeds. But from the 1st bridge to the ruins, oh WOW it was incredible. After I got to the ruins, I just sat and spent 45 min smelling glorious nature and listening to the creek. I decided, as I sat there, that the kids needed to come up. I got home and tried to rally them to come with me early at 10, when I knew the smell would still be fresh and amazing, but NO ONE would come. I was ready to force them, but if I did, they wanted it to count as FHE. I didn't know if Corey wanted us to do FHE without him. He was working from home. I went to ask his counsel. Do I force them to go now and then let them play with friends this evening? Or do I make them work and then they can go play and we'll do it later for FHE? Corey said the latter. So they cleaned up the main floor then I let them leave. Off to play with friends. When we finally did FHE it was way later than I wanted (8:30 pm) so we only had 20 minutes until sunset. That's not much time. Off we went in a brisk walk from Lisa to the ruins with kids. The boys were leading the pack.
K was holding my hand until she got tired, then Corey carried her on his shoulders as he talked with the girls. A few were reluctant for this activity (Abi) and called for a vote to make us turn around early. She wanted us to stop at Techy, but no, this is our chance! We have to make it to the ruins! And we did. Corey and I felt happy to share this part of our life with the kids. It was fun to have them up there! It was a 1.33 mile walk, took us 40 minutes. I showed them where I always fill my water bottle, and as I'm turn around to come back I see Lily climbing over the logs to the ruins!!
When we got home we checked on a hummingbird that Daniel found earlier today.
They are smaller than my roses in the past and not quite as pink and vibrant (2023 was an amazing rose year), but better late than not at all, I'm just glad they are here.


No comments:
Post a Comment