Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Little Mermaids

Yesterday we went swimming at a neighbor's house. I didn't feel like getting in the pool, so I really appreciated how sweet the older kids were at taking care of their younger siblings.
After about an hour of swimming, our neighbor's daughter Jane asked for her mermaid tail.  "Mermaid tail?" Those with ears to hear were very excited to see a mermaid tail at work in the pool. Jane swam around like a little fish. They had a larger tail too that Abi tried on. WOW ~ it was everything she'd dreamed of!
Her brother's looked on with envy... 
"We want to try!!" After a swim about the pool, Abi let them have a turn. I didn't get a picture of Hyrum, but he said it was really hard to swim in it. And here is Wesley in all his merman glory!
Looking good Wes. I do think the mer-tails are more for looks than for anything else. Jane swam around for a while and then let the little kids try on her tail. Lily was first in line. 
Feeling like a mermaid. Then Natalie got a turn. She just sat there, feeling pretty amazing. 
Abi helped her get in the pool.
Soon Natalie was gracefully gliding about in the water, it was pretty cute! She was in mermaid heaven.
It was about time to go, but Sophi still needed a turn, and she had been so patient. So we endured Natalie's weeping and wailing while Sophi swam around. I think she makes a super cute little fish!
Natalie was pretty sad, which was cute too. I can understand how important and special being a mermaid must be to a two year old. So we broke protocol and after Sophi was done with her 10 minutes, peace returned to the pool as Natalie got a second turn. Wesley pulled her around.
Sophi and Natalie both made pretty cute little mermaids. And mermaid tails are now on the list of "wants" for a few of these kids. And that is okay, kids, your inexhaustible, unstoppable, repetitive, and nagging demands don't overwhelm me. And for fun, let's just go over that fun quote from the movie Hook ~

Captain Hook: You, the cute little urchin in the front row, won't you share your thoughts with the whole class? 
Maggie: Yes!I said mommy reads to us every night, because she LOVES us very much! 
Captain Hook: Loves you? Isn't that the, uh, the... 
Smee: The 'L' word, Captain. 
Captain Hook: Ooh, yes! [grimaces] No, child, Your mother wants to read to you every night in order to stupefy to sleep, so that she and daddy could sit down for three measly minutes without you. And your mindless, inexhaustible, unstoppable, repetitive, and nagging demands: He took my toy! She hit my bear! I want a potty! I want a cookie! I want to stay up! I want, I want, I want, me, me, me, me, mine, mine, mine, mine, now, now, now, now! Can't you understand, child? They tell you stories to shut you up. 
Smee: -And conk you out. 
Maggie: That's not true, Jack! [to Hook] You're a liar! 
Captain Hook: [laughs] Lie? Me? Never. The TRUTH is far too much fun.

Whenever they come with a new request for a new thing, I just tell them to write it down on their list - you can have it all! You just have to have it one at a time. :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...