Saturday, February 19, 2011

Happy Anniversary to Us!

Yes, Happy birthday to our family. We've enjoyed 12 years of wedded bliss. What do the next 12 years hold in store?  Today it beheld a quick trip to the ER for Abi...

We started off like we do every other day, with all of us sleeping in until 9 (We all stay up until midnight last night again, I blame the position of Chile on the earth and the angle of the sun, cause we had great sleeping habits in Costa Rica)

The kids eagerly started their Spanish lessons - today's lesson: Buscando Nemo on Disney channel. As says Squirt the little turtle, "Sweet!" to Crush's "Totally..." I love it in Spanish "Dulce!" - "Exacto..." It's so fun hearing it in Spanish and what they say - we also all got a good laugh when the underwater bombs all exploded after the Shark tries to eat Dori, and a bubble pops up at the surface where two Pelicans are relaxing in the water, you know that part? In English the one pelican says to the other "Nice..." In Spanish "Que lindo..." We all laughed, and it's part of their list now to use on each other when they do something gross. "Que lindo!"

Around 11:45 I left and went to the Temple. It is beautiful. I love the temple. We went there for Jansi's wedding, but this was my first time going there to do work. It was great. Just a 15-20 minute drive, about the same drive that we had in Utah! We're so close!

I got home just after 1:30, and shortly after I got home, our plans to go to the park were canceled and Corey took Abi to the Emergency room instead.

How it happened:
I walked in, I sit on the couch by Corey and tell him how the temple was. Then we hear a more urgent than normal scream from Abi coming from the hall. Then we hear Ethan screaming "ABI!!!" I run over thinking he's mad at her and going to do her some harm, but rather Ethan is looking at Abi's thumb and crying and about to pass out, Abi is not looking at her thumb but holding it up screaming, I look at her thumb and go into we-gotta-emergency mode. From my brief glance it appeared that the root of her thumbnail was on the outside of her finger and blood is dripping down her hand. Somehow it got shut in the bedroom door on the hinge side of the door. It totally closed on her thumb, Ethan opened the door so she could get out.

(don't look at this picture if you're squeamish)

We put a towel on her thumb, wipe the rest of the blood off of her, get her shoes on, put her in the stroller, and we wish we had made a plan of what to do in an emergency with our insurance. I call Carola to ask her where might be good places to go. We decided on Clinica Aleman, it's very close. I hand Corey my camera to document while they're gone. He left, and I spend the next hour trying to figure out our new traveler's insurance to see if we need to worry about if the Clinic isn't in network or something.

Abi passed the time playing Bubble Popper on Corey's phone.


Corey comes home at 3:30. Abi is asleep in the stroller with her little hand in a sling.


Corey tells me how Abi was and how the Clinica Aleman was.


Abi did great until they poked her with a needle. True, that part hurt, but after a minute Corey asked her if it hurt and she shook her head "no". Corey asks her why she's screaming then. She avoids answering and says "I don't like Chile!" She didn't like them bringing scissors and doing stuff to her thumb. But she did as good as a 3 year old could be expected to do.

As for the Clinica Aleman, Corey gives it 5 stars - top notch hospital, excellent service, just as good if not better than the States. Way to go Chile! You're keeping good with being my Latino version of the US. Only glitch: They needed something else paper-wise to be able to file with our insurance which I wasn't able to get faxed over today, so Corey paid out of pocket and hopefully we'll get it taken care of on Monday and re-imbursed.

I'm grateful it all happened after I got home from the temple instead of while I was gone with the car. Good timing. Corey gave me a kiss on the cheek as he headed out the door to go pick up Abi's pain relief medicine, and he says "Happy Anniversary" as he gives me a slap on the behind.

5 comments:

  1. So sorry this happened! Health care is top-notch here, though, as you discovered, so yay for that. I don't know about how your insurance works here, but I know with ours we always pay and then get reimbursed -- a little bit of a pain later, but makes the check in/check out part faster. Happy Anniversary to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I'm so sorry, the same happening to my older girl, but was 3 finger and in the top they got broken, from there on I'm freak out when I see any children play with door. Happy Anniversary to you and this beautiful family full of adventure.

    Linda Heathman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffanie,
    That poor, sweet baby!! I'm sorry she had to experience that! She looks as if she was a very brave bambino. I hope you all have a wonderful day for your Anniversary. Congratulations!
    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well happy anniversary even if it wasn't celebrated in quite the way you expected. :) And what a sweet, brave girl. Ouch!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad for technology at times like this. Helps keep the kids calm which helps the mom stay calm

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...