Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Missing Home

At the Valentine Party last week, the kids enjoyed playing in the Lambert's basement and seeing all their toys, some of them are like the toys we have in storage - the kids were excited... "Remember this toy?! Oh! Remember this?!!"

They had a big Buzz too, Wesley misses his Buzz. Then Lily stole it while Wes was doing Valentines.

I didn't mention this in my Monday post, but as I was trying to figure out where to go to see a doctor, I started to get mad at the easiest thing to get mad at - being in Chile. Now I do like Chile, but when situations of stress arise, I blame Chile, cause I don't know how to deal with the stress as well as I would if I were back in my comfort zone in the US. Same thing with Abi's thumb - I blame Chile. Same thing with my simple wardrobe right now - I blame Chile, cause I don't know if they have thrift store, and don't think I could handle paying full price. (Anyone from Chile reading this? Are there thrift stores here?!? Someplace where I could find some pants and shirts for $2000-$3000 pesos, that would be awesome)

So, I was mad that we were here in Chile on Monday, until I calmed down and remember the small miracles that have happened along the way. We prayed for this opportunity, we felt good about it, and have felt the Lord helping us, protecting us, and blessing us. It reminds me of this excellent talk by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the 12 Apostles - This talk is one of my personal classics that I reference over and over again and it always renews my faith.

Here's an brief excerpt:

Every one of us runs the risk of fear. You do, and I do. That is exactly the problem that beset the children of Israel at the edge of the Red Sea. It has everything to do with holding fast to earlier illumination. The record says, "And when Pharaoh drew nigh, the children of Israel lifted up their eyes, and, behold, the Egyptians marched after them; and they were sore afraid."

Some, just like those Paul had described earlier, said, "Let's go back. This isn't worth it. We must have been wrong. That probably wasn't the right spirit telling us to leave Egypt." What they actually said to Moses was, "Wherefore hast thou dealt thus with us, to carry us forth out of Egypt? . . . It had been better for us to serve the Egyptians, than that we should die in the wilderness" (Exodus 14:10–12).

And I have to say, "What about that which has already happened? What about the miracles that got you here? What about the frogs and the lice? What about the rod and the serpent, the river and the blood? What about the hail, the locusts, the fire, and the firstborn sons?"

How soon we forget. It would not have been better to stay and serve the Egyptians, and it is not better to remain outside the Church nor to reject a mission call nor to put off marriage and so on and so on forever. Of course our faith will be tested as we fight through these self-doubts and second thoughts. Some days we will be miraculously led out of Egypt--seemingly free, seemingly on our way--only to come to yet another confrontation, like all that water lying before us. At those times we must resist the temptation to panic and to give up. At those times fear will be the strongest of the adversary's weapons against us.

"And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord. . . . The Lord shall fight for you."

In confirmation the great Jehovah said to Moses, "Speak unto the children of Israel, that they go forward" (Exodus 14:13–15; emphasis added).

That is the second lesson of the spirit of revelation. After you have gotten the message, after you have paid the price to feel his love and hear the word of the Lord, "go forward." Don't fear, don't vacillate, don't quibble, don't whine. You may have to find a route that leads an unusual way, that is exactly what the Lord was doing here for the children of Israel. Nobody had ever crossed the Red Sea this way, but so what? There's always a first time. With the spirit of revelation, dismiss your fears and wade in with both feet. In the words of Joseph Smith, "Brethren [and, I would add, sisters], shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren; and on, on to the victory!" (D&C 128:22).


So, although sometimes we are a little homesick, we will keep going forward. Keep the faith!

Missing Chloe - wishing they had a pet, excited to have one again when we get back!
Rabbits and a turtle are on the list so far.

1 comment:

  1. joe
    I don't really want another pet. or any thing that's' not a dog I don't want as a pet

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...