Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Native Dish

Thanks to Shirley for our first Costa Rican food sampling:

Platanos fritos con queso
...or fried ripe plantains with cheese.

(Abi doing her trick again)

Everyone ready to try it out

Open up, take a bite....

And...?


Oh dear, it didn't go over too well. We had to offer the "ice-cream-for-everyone-who-cleans-their-plate" bribe. No one took the bait. Shirley and I got some though. I thought the plantains were good, but wish I hadn't had to eat them since they were fried, and I really want to keep my weight in check this pregnancy. Not that I need to worry yet. Anyway, we had plenty of plantain leftovers, which we had for our leftover dinner tonight. Did the bribe again, and the kids did a lot better. Joe ate one, and go one spoonful of ice cream, as did Wesley. Ethan and Abi didn't bother, and gold medals to Melodie and Hyrum who both ate all 3 of their plantains, and Corey and I had some and now they are gone and we didn't waste any. Good job, team!

2 comments:

  1. Amy made a big pot of vegetable soup. Each night that we'd say we're eating that again, Conner's reaction was one of shock and disgust. That soup was good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures of the beach are so great! Kids in their natural element...fantastic! I have to say, I'm not a huge plantain fan either. It looks like a great start to the adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...