Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Bugs and Other Creeping Things


One of the funnest things about visiting a new place is the discovering the little creatures that are crawling around your house and yard. Melodie found this tiny gecko outside and played with him for a bit.


You can always count on seeing lots of geckos gathered around our outside porch lights. The kids enjoy that. Frogs are usually out there too. Last night I went outside to check the pool for frogs, which I usually do, cause they get in there and drown cause they can't get out and there's not place to rest so they end up drowning by morning. Saved one little frog last night, then noticed our huge grasshopper friend, or one of his relatives, taking a swim...


I'd seen another one of these big grasshoppers go swimming at the AutoMercado shopping center's fountain. I think they must eat other bugs as they skim across the water? I shall have to research that to see if I'm right. It's so funny to see these guys swim - doing like a frog leg stroke, I'll try to get that on video if we see one of these swimming again. So I called the kids out of bed to come see him, Mel got him out with the pool pole thing, and since he was all wet I was sure he couldn't go flapping around, so we tried to get some of our own pictures for size comparison... Here he is next to my shoe - can we say monster grasshopper?


Mel taking a look at him after he jumped from the pole onto the wall...


Monster Hopper.

Then today the kids were so excited that they saw a green lizard on a pole outside their second floor window.


They were ex-ci-ted!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...