Monday, October 11, 2010

Wesley's Homework


Here is Wes doing his homework. In the above picture he just circled a gumball dot to dot and proceeded to "put it in jail" cause the gumballs were actually dinosaur eggs.

Working his way through the alphabet - dog in jail, elephant in his cage, G was for gift, which was next to be put in jail, cause there was a dinosaur egg in there too, he told me.



Now he's putting the giraffe in jail.

I love watching Wesley work in his book. He is always very busy at it and doesn't need any help. Of course he doesn't do the activity as they explain, but I hardly think any of those exercises are necessary. Do you?


I mean honestly, is it really necessary to ask children if they know the difference between large and small, between more and less? I have no doubt that if I dished out bowls of ice cream they would all, with no prompting from me, stop and examine all of them first before choosing which bowl they wanted - aka the one with the MOST. They do the same thing with cereal - hundreds of little bits of fruity pebbles and they know which one has two more flakes. So some of the things in this book are just dumb to test on. ALL children would pass with flying colors, even 3 year old Abi.

There are other things in there that are good to know, but I haven't taught them to him, but somehow he's learned them - his ABCs, how to write his name, count, etc. You can't stop kids from learning. Wes just observes and knows. So he can put pictured animals in jail all he wants. I know what the book wants him to do, nothing special there... what I love to see what ideas he comes up with. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...