Saturday, January 29, 2011

Trip to Los Dominicos

Today we took a trip. We took a trip to Isla De Maipo where Corey spent a month during his time as a missionary here in 1995-97. But, since I didn't blog about our trip to Los Dominicos yet, I gotta do that first.

So two weeks ago on a Saturday we took a trip to Los Dominicos with Kurt and Ashely. They took the metro. We took the car - about an 8 minute drive.

First little shop in the little market - a pet shop. The kids want a bunny.


I told them if we buy a rabbit we'll have to give it away when we leave Chile. They said they are okay with that. We'll see if I give in to anther impulse buy. This cute puppy was my first impulse pet buy last June.


Then we looked at chickens for sale. Mel said she'd settle for a chick. She just wants a pet. I think these are for people who want eggs. I'm not interested in having a hen right now in our apartment. Although it would save us mucho $ on eggs. We eat a lot of eggs. Sure miss Costco and their bulk 5 doz eggs for sale. But I know I'll go again someday!

My favorite place in Los Dominicos was the miniature garden.


I liked the cloth canopy - took a photo to remember it for my someday future yard/outdoor space.


We wandered around the shops. Pottery for sale from Pomaire. They actually just call the pottery "pomaire" since that is the little town famous for this type of pottery. Just googled Pomaire... if you want a little Chilean history lesson, here's a website to see. I'll save this for the kids when we make it there - Pomaire is actually where we started to go today, but after being lost for two hours in between Santiago through Maipu trying to find an on-ramp to the freeway, we finally found a way on near Penaflor and then cut our trip short for time's sake - took us 2.5 hours to get to Isla De Maipo, about 10 minutes from Pomaire. Should have only been about half that. The kids were very patient with us. We'll try for Pomaire on another Saturday outing.

There is an art museum at Los Dominicos, and in there they had a display of the lyrics to the famous Chilean Song "Si Vas Para Chile" - I remember when Corey was on his mission I bought a shirt that had the Chilean flag and those words on it. It means "If You Go To Chile". Here's a wikipedia on the song. I took pictures of the lyrics cause I didn't realize before now that the song talked about Las Condes. That's where we live!


When you visit places it increases your interest in them and you learn things you thought you already knew about. I knew a little bit about this song, but wasn't interested really, but after seeing Las Condes in the lyrics I'm interested cause I know Las Condes. Atleast I know what it's like now, and now I'm interested in what it used to be too. It's great to travel. It increases your circle of knowledge and thus also your circumference of darkness.

One last thing then I'm done rambling. When Corey and I visited Chile together in 2000 with baby Joseph, we visited Los Dominicos and had a nice stroll around the touristy shops. We also got a picture in front of the big white Church there, which said picture made it into Joseph's ABC book under the letter I - "I is for Iglesia. "Iglesia" means church in Spanish. This is an iglesia in Santiago Chile." with a little picture of the three of us in front of the church, baby Joe in his umbrella stroller. Sorry I don't have that ABC book or photo file here in Chile. But someday I'll have it, and so I took a photo so I can have a "then and now" scrapbook page for Joe - Here he is 10 years later.


~ The kids ABC books are turning into family travel logs, more so for the younger kids as we travel more. Have you heard about my ABC Books? I like them. I think it was pretty creative of myself. I'll save that for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...