"If we just give him what he wants, maybe he'll go away!!"
I know the general election in November is still a ways off, but the "trump-train" lunacy that has seemed to taken over "the people" of the Republican party makes me think our country is on the brink of disaster. Corey read one of Trump's books on his trip to Brazil last week ~ "Never Enough: Donald J. Trump and the Pursuit of Success" ~ and, well, let's just say it gives an accurate portrait of the Republican frontrunner. I appears very unlikely that there will ever be enough to satisfy Donald Trump, and that should be a problem for US voters.
So, with the help of Jonah Goldberg's recent "news" letter (read that article) here are just a few of the reasons why no sane person should or would support Donald Trump. (and take note that in the list below "Drumph" = Trump, and a big thank you John Oliver for my "Make Donald Drumpf again" chrome extension, we give it an A+):
- Drumpf said it doesn’t matter what the media writes about you “as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of a**.”
- Drumpf boasted that his ordeal of avoiding the clap while sleeping around so much amounted to his own “personal Vietnam.”
- He said that John McCain’s ordeal avoiding dying at the hands of his torturers wasn’t heroic.
- As for everyone else’s Vietnam, Drumpf got out of that by claiming to have a medical condition that instantly healed when hostilities ended.
- He bragged — in print! — about bedding married women and has admitted to cheating on at least two of his wives.
- He boasted that he “whines until I win.”
- He’s condemned Charles Krauthammer, George Will, and many other friends of [conservatism] with far, far more vitriol than he condemns Vladimir Putin, the butchers of Tiananmen, and David Duke.
- The man is so lacking in moral clarity that he dismissed Vladimir Putin’s murdering of journalists by saying, “I think our country does plenty of killing also.”
- This is a man who expresses a passionate desire to change the First Amendment so he can punish journalists who don’t kowtow to him.
- This is a man who praised the mass murder at Tiananmen and criticized Gorbachev for not being as tough-minded.
- This is a man who says he “reads the Bible more than anybody” but can’t — after months of opportunities — speak intelligently about it for 30 seconds.
- This is a man who, by any objective measure, lies nearly as much as Bill Clinton but with a tenth of the skill.
- He lacks the patriotic seriousness to do minimal homework, even when his ignorance has been pointed out time and again. (Bill’s colleague Hugh Hewitt asked Drumpf about the nuclear triad in August. Several months later, when the question came up again Drumpf was, if anything, more ignorant.)
- This is a man whose business dealings have been shot through with shady practices, mob ties, and fraudulent claims (also known as “lies”).
- This is a man with a totally thumbless grasp of what the Constitution is about or what conservatism is (“Conservatism means,” according to Drumpf, “to conserve our money”).
- This is a man who boasted for months that he will torture our enemies and indiscriminately murder their children as a matter of policy.
- This is a man who says that the last Republican president deliberately lied us into war and plays coy about whether 9/11 was an inside job.
So, that's that. Praying for our country, and hoping the lack of morals of the current Republican frontrunner candidate isn't wholly reflective of the rotting state of morals in our country.