Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Having a Situation...


6:25 p.m.

Wesley walks upstairs and somehow during his ascent cuts his upper lip through.

What do you do if:

Your husband is on a plane to Chile
You're alone at home with 7 kids
He took the US phone with him
You don't know where an emergency center is for sure, but think there's a hospital in Nicoya, (50 minutes away)

I didn't know what to do. Wes wouldn't let me touch it, but it looked like his upper lip had been cut straight through. It looked like the width of it was about the length of a kid's tooth. Does that need stitches? Or will it be okay without it? Do I need to go to a doctor or Emergency Room? I don't know who I'd go to anyway?

I got online and was grateful for people that were online. It helped me laugh at the situation. We had arranged for someone to stay here with me precisely for this reason, just in case a situation like this happened to happen. But since Corey was driving to the airport in San Jose, they went with him because they had some errands to do in San Jose, and that way they wouldn't have to ride the bus there. No biggie, I thought, just one night alone, I can handle it. And I guess I did handle this situation pretty well considering circumstances. I did bark a little bit at Wesley 5 minutes into it when he was still screaming at full capacity and I was about to explode. After letting off that steam I was good and could laugh at how funny it was that all the planets seemed to align to my misfortune. Thank you Jeff J and Jacob M for being online to look at the photo I was able to immediately take and upload and for your advice (thank you Lord for digital cameras and the internet), and especially for by little brother Neil for being online with Mom on the phone at your end.

As I was online trying to decide what to do, Wesley fell asleep in the chair next tome with a hand towel to his lip. He wouldn't let me put ice on it. I got little bits of tp and soaked one of them in super glue and then put it on top of the cut. It dried before it had laid on his lip all the way, so now he has a stiff piece of tp sticking off his lip too. Sorry you're mom is so unprofessional Wes. I guess we'll just see how it looks in the morning and I'll give an update.

Thank the Lord in all things, especially this week of Thanksgiving. I'm thankful Wesley's teeth didn't get hurt and I'm thankful it was his lip and not his head.

Happy Thanksgiving week!

6 comments:

  1. Tiffanie, I'm sorry I missed your message earlier. I have email on my phone, and the app was open. I was in an assembly for Rachel tonight. I'm so sorry I couldn't help, but I'm glad you found what you needed. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffanie,
    It's Ashli Storheim here. I have been following your blog since you got to Costa Rica. How fun! I haven't left a comment because well, I usually catch up and run to the next one :). But, I just wanted to tell you how great I think your family is. What an adventure! What troopers! What memories you are creating for your darling kids! When I heard you were going and saw you guys up the canyon, I thought, "WOW< that's amazing....taking all those kids into the unknown"...but, oh how I wish I had the guts and ability to do it!
    Good luck with everything! Hope you all reunite soon!
    Thanks for sharing your journey with us all and reminding us of all the things we so often take for granted here in the states!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did well and I am glad that it wasn't his head, they bleed more and it seems a lot worse when you have all that blood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had been able to help! Kelsey did something similar to that to her lip once. We took her to the instacare & the doctor told us a good rule to follow is if you could fit a cheerio in it - it needs stiches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Cheerios tip is a good one, Thanks Jersh, I'll remember that one :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...